Guzzi Diag help

bentombed

apologies if this is in the wrong place -  I am having an issue getting the diag to read, and then write my map. i just want to check the fuel trim map. 
When i plug in the cables and load up the diag stuff i get all the right messages, but the pop up states if you can hear the fuel pump, shut down the program and start again.  How am i to interpret this? that the fuel pump should not be running when i read in the ecu?  if so, how do i disable the fuel pump?   something reads in, i have some BIN files saved, but when i try to open them up using the write program, i navigate to the folder where i saved them, but nothing opens. 

I am sure there is a simple fix, but i have no clue where i have gone wrong. I have read through beetles instructions and the threads here but am a bit lost. 

any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Hi,

The ECU switches to communications mode when GuzziDiag or the reader/writer programs connect and the fuel pump will not spin up.

If the fuel pump spins then GuzziDiag or the reader/writer programs don't connect to the ECU. Two likely reasons, either the connector/adapter is the wrong one or defective or the plus/minus cables are not connectd. Or, in case of the reader/writer, the programs are not the ones to be used with your ECU.

Have you tried connecting GuzziDiag successfully? If yes, which ECU did you select? Are you using the reader/writer for this ECU?

Cheers
Meinolf

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Meinolf said:

Hi,

The ECU switches to communications mode when GuzziDiag or the reader/writer programs connect and the fuel pump will not spin up.

If the fuel pump spins then GuzziDiag or the reader/writer programs don't connect to the ECU. Two likely reasons, either the connector/adapter is the wrong one or defective or the plus/minus cables are not connectd. Or, in case of the reader/writer, the programs are not the ones to be used with your ECU.

Have you tried connecting GuzziDiag successfully? If yes, which ECU did you select? Are you using the reader/writer for this ECU?

Cheers
Meinolf

i think that might be the problem -  i'm pretty sure that GuzziDiag was not connected properly, its a 15m ecu, that was the program i tried.  However, i missed the connect to GuzziDiag step first. I'll try that today and see how i go. 

An interesting little *event* I had a few dats ago in Townsville might be useful here.

My mate Peter and I were attempting to read the map from one of his Cali 1100's with a 15M-RC.

when we went to 'Reader' I could go through the 'Mame the map' stage after which the instructions stated to 'Turn off the ignition for at least ten seconds.' Doing this, on turning the ignition back on the fuel pump primed and the connection would time out. The dialog box actually stated if you could hear the pump then the download was aborted and you should try again.

After a few frustrating attempts I turned off the kill switch and flicked it back on again and, Voila! It connected and started the download! Interestingly though the download took ages! Like about 15 minutes! It was as slow as a 7SM! Weird!

The map was OK though. Being paranoid I sent it to Mark to get him to run his eyes over and it was pronounced good. So why it took so blessed long to download I have no idea........

20 minutes ago, pete roper said:

An interesting little *event* I had a few dats ago in Townsville might be useful here.

My mate Peter and I were attempting to read the map from one of his Cali 1100's with a 15M-RC.

when we went to 'Reader' I could go through the 'Mame the map' stage after which the instructions stated to 'Turn off the ignition for at least ten seconds.' Doing this, on turning the ignition back on the fuel pump primed and the connection would time out. The dialog box actually stated if you could hear the pump then the download was aborted and you should try again.

After a few frustrating attempts I turned off the kill switch and flicked it back on again and, Voila! It connected and started the download! Interestingly though the download took ages! Like about 15 minutes! It was as slow as a 7SM! Weird!

The map was OK though. Being paranoid I sent it to Mark to get him to run his eyes over and it was pronounced good. So why it took so blessed long to download I have no idea........

Interesting Pete about the kill switch. If it was an initial map download then they are always around the 15min mark. It's slow to copy the initial map and after that any modified map loading is fast. Apparently the initial map copy is slowed down by a clumsy but unavoidable validation of individual bits of information. IT people like Meinolf or pauldaytona would be able to explain it. 

Phil

thank you - i'll try flicking the kill switch and see if that makes any difference.  I've been trying different combinations of cables and re-installed the drivers but i cannot get the ECU to connect to the computer. each time i try the fuel pump primes.  I have tried the reader and the guzzidiag applications,  doesnt seem to make any difference.
bike is a 2002 scura, i'm pretty sure people have been in the ECU before.
there is difference in number on the physical ECU to the numbers on the diag, i was wondering if that could be the problem?  the ecu on the bike is IAW15m - C5 and on the listing on the diag it is IAW 15M PF3C.

i'll check with the kill switch off and on and report back

20 minutes ago, bentombed said:

thank you - i'll try flicking the kill switch and see if that makes any difference.  I've been trying different combinations of cables and re-installed the drivers but i cannot get the ECU to connect to the computer. each time i try the fuel pump primes.  I have tried the reader and the guzzidiag applications,  doesnt seem to make any difference.
bike is a 2002 scura, i'm pretty sure people have been in the ECU before.
there is difference in number on the physical ECU to the numbers on the diag, i was wondering if that could be the problem?  the ecu on the bike is IAW15m - C5 and on the listing on the diag it is IAW 15M PF3C.

i'll check with the kill switch off and on and report back

No that's correct PF3C refers to the type of TPS fitted to the bike. The C5 is the ECU version. After you connect whats displayed under that is the map information that's loaded.

Phil

• Like 1

after much much more messing around, downloading and updating drivers, reading and re-reading beetles instructions i am just where i started.  For reasons i cannot figure out i cannot successfully connect to the ECU.   Next step i guess is to find someone local with cables and see if its my cables and computer or the ECU.

• 3 weeks later...

Had to share this revelation ( Not religious) with others not into computers. Life is about coincidences, Quota fellow called, what kind of mapping do you have. His bike, just bought it, was running like crap. He  had been working in data, not far away, can I visit, sure.  Compared his mapping to mine, went home, some adjustments, New bike.       Yes I have been struggling with my Greenie, numerous tuning and TPS measurements, but not perfect in 2600 - 3000 rpm area. I have Meinolf’s mapping, but fueled up ca 20% in the T area,and a New bike  :D.    Now I am very very close to do this myself  :rasta:.    Thanks Phil for the reminders, if I can.            It’s hope guys, it will be a great Friday, IPA ready :bier:

Cheers Tom. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1