"Anodized" Red 2002+ Sideplate Touch-Up Paint

al_roethlisberger

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since I was swapping out my plates, I went ahead and shot one of the old ones with this paint as a test.

...let me just first say how surprised I was to the degree the original paint has faded to a more orange tone than originally.

But as shown in the photo below, this paint actually comes out quite nice.

It's a slightly deeper red, but it looks just "anodized" as the original paint does, or at least very close.

I shot it over the original paint, and over the bare aluminum. Based on the observed differences in the finish, I would recommend priming the aluminum with a silver just as MG did under their red paint. Otherwise the finish is inconsistent over the bare aluminum.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a good "touch up", as again, it is a slightly darker/redder red, but certainly if one had fairly marred plates, you could remove them and paint them in an afternoon, maybe add some clear for protection... and have nice looking plates for the riding season.

Anyway, it's just an inexpensive alternative to powder coating, although I'm sure it is far less durable. But it is convenient, and again, quite cheap.

al

IMG_3581.jpg

• 3 years later...
Although I haven't tested this stuff, it looked very interesting when I ran across it at my local auto supply:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

...might want to give it a try :huh2:

After a year or so of looking at the off color valve covers, a weeping valve cover gasket prompted me to try Al's suggested paint. My local Autozone had it on the shelf. I scuffed up the original paint a bit, preheated the parts a bit in the oven and sprayed away. They turned out pretty nice. In direct sunlight the brake side pork chop is a bit lighter. On the shift lever side, in shade, man they look the same. I'm happy! Thanks Al! :thumbsup: Here a b/4 and after shot.

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0002.JPG