Cylinder Head Oil feed - How to remove

John Neeson

You are speaking of the fastener that holds the double banjo fitting into the front of cylinder valley between the cylinders? The one on myV11 uses a 13mm spanner to turn it.

I just put a common 10º offset ring spanner ("box end wrench") on mine from the left side ahead of the cylinder. And found it just barely tight!

Gave it a snug and finished tightening with another ring spanner that has a 30mm offset. Both spanners gave me enough swing and leverage to turn the fastener. Perhaps the earlier 1100 Sport-i differs? Maybe @Pressureangle will come along to chime in . . .

In the meantime, thanks @John Neeson for bringing this loose fastener to my attention!! :luigi:

I just checked- I've never had them off on the 'Sport, mine are identical to those on the '85 LM1000. That is to say, they're a PITA but can be removed with common end wrenches. Some wrenches are thinner and smaller than others, could play havoc. Or the later bikes may have a different connection altogether. I got nothin'. 

• Thanks 1

I just looked at the feeds at the cylinder head, itself. Looks like I could get on those with a thin "open-end" 14mm spanner if the tank and airbox were removed . . .

4 hours ago, docc said:

You are speaking of the fastener that holds the double banjo fitting into the front of cylinder valley between the cylinders? The one on myV11 uses a 13mm spanner to turn it.

I just put a common 10º offset ring spanner ("box end wrench") on mine from the left side ahead of the cylinder. And found it just barely tight!

Gave it a snug and finished tightening with another ring spanner that has a 30mm offset. Both spanners gave me enough swing and leverage to turn the fastener. Perhaps the earlier 1100 Sport-i differs? Maybe @Pressureangle will come along to chime in . . .

In the meantime, thanks @John Neeson for bringing this loose fastener to my attention!! :luigi:

There special tools for this Banjo. Not all engine blocks are machined the same at the banjo oil feed point and even a thin walled spanner or socket won't fit on some engines. I know because I have 4 sets of cases at home and the machining clearance for the banjo fitting is quite a bit different on a couple of them. The tool on the top LHS is one I made for removing oil pressure switches on Daytona engines. It's between a long and normal socket in length. The others are for the Banjo. Why two tools for the banjo? Because the "swing" is restricted down in the "V" and to get that last 1/2 flat rotation you sometimes need the socket.

Phil

DSC01099.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Are we talking about the oil lines that feed directly into the head as in this picture?

IMG_6961.jpg

If so, you just need a slim spanner (wrench) - not a big clunky one. If you have a cheap spanner that you don't care much for, you can grind it down till it fits.

(disregard the measure tape - that was for a different purpose a while back, but it's the only pic I could find of the fitting in question)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1