V11 Sport - Oil FIlter Change

jsciullo

You can really wear out tires commuting a hundred miles a day on them too. Especially on the cobby roads here in California. I wouldn't have thought that anywhere in the USA would offer wide open expanses that you could run 100+ in uninterrupted though, not even in Michigan.

Idaho, Montana and certain parts of Washington. Forget Oregon, the cops are nasty there. :helmet:

• 1 year later...

There has been some discussion of using a bolt or nut to fit the oil filter manhole cover. I just wanted to let you all know that I found an M18 metric bolt (or "hex cap screw" if you believe the invoice) has a 26.7mm head, which is just about the perfect size. That and two nuts to lock against each other cost US$9.45 after tax, and will work quite well with an adjustable wrench.

If I had access to welding equipment, I'd probably weld on an L shaped steel handle to one of the nuts, making a "small" hex key out of it. The store I was at had an actual 27mm hex key. It was about 35cm long, weighed a significant fraction of a kilo, and cost nearly US$27 before tax. It also looked like you could use it to lever an elephant off the ground.

Sometime drive I 90 across south dakota, their lack of police is wonderfull!, last year on my way to sturgis I rode 100+ and only stopped for gas. The coment about the wedding tackle is funny, if we had enormus tackel we couldn't sit on the bike that long :blink: . But that may be why the US is full of 6000 Lb. cages that drive simmilar to my living room.

:drink:

For the filter I got a 7 flute filter wrench from the local bike shop. You really should use 7 flute, just like the UFI filter. Most automotive filters are 9 flute, and if not carefull, will damage the very fine threads for the filter access port. Mine is made in the U.S. by Vector, part # 17030.

For the filter access plate/port to the filter itself, I bought a 27mm or 1 1/16" bolt from the hardware store, and 2 nuts, which are then tightened together very tight on the end of the bolt opposite the bolts head , using the end of the bolt head to insert into the access port.[in bigger sizes metric and imperial sizes cross use, unlike in smaller sizes where, for example, 10mm and 3/8" are not exactly the same.] I think it cost me $3 cdn.

Ciao, Steve G.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest ckamin

Drag Specialties sells an oil filter wrench with the right number of flutes to remove the filter, and any auto parts store can sell you a lug nut with a 1 1/16 outside inch size to remove the cover. I took a wheel stud and two lug nuts and made a nice little tool for $6.

Very simple!

2 hammers work really well. When all else fails, bring out the precision tools!!!!!

Take one plastic hammer, put plastic head contacting the oil filter cover, take small ball peen and proceed to tap the plastic hammer. You will see the cover moving. Takes no more than 5 or 6 taps and then it's hand loose.

For the oil filter itself, you can buy work gloves that have a rubberized palm and fingers on them to prevent slippage. They're made for handling wet stuff. Grip filter and turn. Easy peasy.

I wouldn't have thought that anywhere in the USA would offer wide open expanses that you could run 100+ in uninterrupted though, not even in Michigan.

3167[/snapback]

You're gonna love OK if that's your idea of good fun--

Word to the wise--

Valentine.

Don't fly without it.

Mean traffic speed between San Antonio and Houston on a Sunday afternoon--

85-95 mph, if you value your life.

• 1 month later...
Guest RPHETTEPLACE

So I'm going to have one of the crusty machinists here at work weld a bolt onto the end of a t-handle. Depending on how it works, I may have him do up a dozen or so if anyone is interested.......

• 1 month later...
Guest bobber

Usually the Hazet Oil filter wrench tool Nr. 2169 fit exactly on the filter, but the UFI (original) is the only one that doesn't fit well and slips within the tool. Using any other quality filter matching the UFI specs will be easy to handle. I bought it for a BMW that has the same filter that fits exactly to the tool.

One further advantage is that it has the 27mm screw nut at the opposite, so you can remove the lid with the same tool simply withot any additional tools!

However it's always recommended to remove to sump to clean the inline filter as well, although I never found any mud in it.

Link to Hazet --> http://www.hazet.de/eng/index.htm - go to products - catalogue - categories and enter the prod.-nr. 2169 to see how it looks like

regards

bobber

• 11 months later...

> No one's mentioned the 'torq-it' wrench?

I searched the list for any mention of Torg-it. This maybe late but what the heck.

I bought one a few years ago and use it for all kinds of things. Its a great invention and a good company. Heavy duty and fast, its not really for hi-torque applications. It is great at spinning through lots of thread quickly. It fits in tight spaces where a battery drill won't and its nearly as fast, plus its fun.

I overpaid on the shipping and the owner mailed me back a dollar. I got a kick out of that.