My bike doesn't exist.

LaGrasta

https://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_V11

I was told by this forum my 2003 V11 falls into a black hole of definition; you weren't kidding. The combination of both Marzocchi forks and the small bikini carbon fairing make it undefinable, cannot find it listed this way anywhere. To further complicate it, it's eggplant in color with lavender mufflers. I keep thinking maybe the fairing was added, but the combination of all these factors, no.

Can anyone find this combo listed anywhere online, was it actually a legit MG model? 

03MGV11 firstday.png

• Like 1

Lavender mufflers?  That's the first I've heard those exist!

2003 Cabernet/Merlot/Shiraz/Carmenere combo...lovely bike!

• Haha 2

Moved to 24/7 V11 since, yes, this is a legit V11 model . . .

That "CycleChaos" link is a nice try, but they miss the mark on a lot of levels.  Sure, the bikini fairing was added, but may have been a dealer option.  Everything about it is 2002, except the VIN. We often refer to these 2003 as "carry-over" 2002s. I have a printed Moto Guzzi sales catalog with your very "Sport Naked" shown in that color.

[Correction:  My printed sales brochure from 2001 (showing 2002 models) calls this "V11 Sport Naked" and my printed 2003 catalog calls it simply "V11 Naked."]

Take a look at this V11Lemans.com thread and you will see your V11 (with a reference to the 2003 "carry-over" models):

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, PJPR01 said:

Originally black, these factory LaFranchoni typically fade to a purplish tint. First I have heard of them called "Lavender" . . .  :grin:

• Sad 1

Okay, here ya go, @LaGrasta!

Courtesy of our esteemed member @chamberlin:

Chamberlin also posted this 2002 German sales brochure that depicts the V11 Sport Naked. First time I've noticed the "maroon" color tank called "Rosso Vintage" . . .

MotoGuzziLeMans-SportNaked-German1_zps63MotoGuzziLeMans-SportNaked-German2_zps6c

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

https://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_V11

I was told by this forum my 2003 V11 falls into a black hole of definition; you weren't kidding. The combination of both Marzocchi forks and the small bikini carbon fairing make it undefinable, cannot find it listed this way anywhere. To further complicate it, it's eggplant in color with lavender mufflers. I keep thinking maybe the fairing was added, but the combination of all these factors, no.

Can anyone find this combo listed anywhere online, was it actually a legit MG model? 

03MGV11 firstday.png

Nobody in their right mind hangs the hat of model identity of a 20 year old Italian motorcycle on the colour of the tank and bodywork and fitment of a Bikini fairing. They are all superficial and easily replaceable, re paintable items. It's the underlying mechanicals that determine the model. Add to that the uniquely American "carry over year" debacle and it's a "what the hell" year is this thing. I suppose as a counterpoint to that would be the crinkle finish engine and gearbox paint of 2002. Nobody would try and apply that to another model. That would be madness.

Phil 

• Haha 1

Thank you everyone that responded. Yes, I understand the carryover, use the parts-bin, ship-to-USA mindset. It does seems as though this model is the least documented. Rosso Vintage,  I like the sound of that. I also like the lavender mufflers, they match the tank as if intentional! Being discolored and not painted this way also explains why I never see the bike with this color combo unless it's a used bike photo. My bike does also have the crinkle paint btw.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

I have a pair of them is someone needs them :) Apparently unused off a Rosso.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Nobody in their right mind hangs the hat of model identity of a 20 year old Italian motorcycle on the colour of the tank and bodywork and fitment of a Bikini fairing. They are all superficial and easily replaceable, re paintable items. It's the underlying mechanicals that determine the model. Add to that the uniquely American "carry over year" debacle and it's a "what the hell" year is this thing. I suppose as a counterpoint to that would be the crinkle finish engine and gearbox paint of 2002. Nobody would try and apply that to another model. That would be madness.

Phil 

True. My 98 Centauro was supposedly the touring model with the windshield I don't think they ever made..:mg: and the abbreviated "luggage rack." It did have the rack, but had the sport chin fairing and instrument cluster fairing. It was anthracite, which to the best of my knowledge was never a sport Centauro color. Apparently, they just used what they had that day. I've said before that the only reason they assembled them was to make sure you got all the parts. :rasta::oldgit: I started my long love affair with the spineys though.

• Like 1