Handelbars

Guest ChrisBer

BTW, in response to someone else's note that Genmar was working on a kit as well....

I dropped them a note on the availability and engineering of their risers, and this was their response:

Hi Al,

The V-11 risers are in the pre-production stage right now.  It doesn't look like you will have to change the height of the fork tubes.  Pricing should be around $100 plus shipping.  We are hoping to have the risers available by mid March.

Thanks for the inquiry,

Scott-GenMar

genmar@zianet.com

Pretty cheap if you don't need ultimate adjustability. I suspect they'll only really raise the bars an inch or less, and might just by the angle of the fork-tubes push them back a fraction. But if that's all you need... it's an option.

Something to keep in mind in a month or two.

al

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Current status/feedback from Genmar:

Hi Al,

We are running behind on most of our winter projects.  We have the

proto-types finished for the V11 but have not got much testing done.  

If testing goes well, it looks like it will be a least six weeks before

the risers are ready for sale.  Sorry for the delays.

Thanks again,

Scott-GenMar

So, I'll check back with them in a few weeks and let everyone know what I find out.

al

I finally got started on my Centauro bar project.

I am having a little trouble finding a 13/16 inch drill bit. I bought a 3/4 inch drill bit and will shave down the rubber to fit if I can't find a proper bit.

Atleast I was able to check out the hydraulic lines etc.

The difference is about 5inches! Over four inches higher and over two inches towards the rider.

I am beginning to have second thoughts, as I will have to redo both hydraulic lines and the wire harnesses. The bars may also be a bit too close to me, unless I put my tail bone all the way back to the removeable cowling.

Does anyone have a tip on how to measure exactly how far the triple clamps can be dropped on the forks?

Is the travel really exactly 120mm?

Do you think it is safe to put the V11Sport clip-ons over the triple clamp?

Hi David,

I would look real carefully at the fork tubes- I think they taper down a mm or so 4 or 5 cm down the tube (from the top). That would really limit how much you could drop the triple clamp. Is that something you want to do anyway? If you lower the bike, it'll affect cornering ability and overall geometry depending on what you do with the back end.

Consider replicating what I did- it was simple and reasonably priced. Handling is a little bit lighter in the front end, but it rides well up into the triple digits. Vibrations are much reduced. Overall the bars are moved 1.5-2 inches back and about 1 inch up.

cheers,

Jason

edit- two more notes- I do tend to set farther back now- my backside just touches the seat cowling when before I would sit about, uh, 1.5-2 inches further forward :wacko:

And, you should be able to find a drill bit that size at either a tool shop (a good one that sells individual drill bits) or talk to your machinists at Scripps :lol: Mine are very helpful here.

Guest vkerrigan

I'm the owner of the 02 LeMans that purchased the bar risers from Williamsville Competition in Buffalo, N.Y. As you recall, they advertise a 1 1/4" rise and a 15 degree pullback from stock but more importantly say the risers can be installed in 15-20 mins with common tools (hex heads) and no rerouting of cables or raising or lowering of the fork tubes in the triple clamps. It sounded attractive to me so I dug deep and came up with the $360.00 and installed them last week. I'm happy to say that everything they claimed is true. They went on in less than 1/2 hour with no cabling or fork issues. The only minor glitch is that the bosses on each grip (throttle and clutch) slightly touch the fairing at full lock left and right. Thats not an issue for me but it may be for someone else. As for results, I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs and needed less weight on my wrists. Its hard to believe a 1 1/4" rise would make such a difference. I did about 200 mi today and had no wrist issues at all. I have pics but the file size is too large as an attachment here. If interested, contact me direct and I'll e-mail all three. Happy Trails......VK

...wow, now I like those! But $350 seems a bit steep.

The Genmar may be a similar solution when available, as they just raise the OEM clamps up by an inch or so. And that will be about $100 I think.

I'll have to keep these in mind though. Nice workmanship.

al

That is a nice, neat, simple solution. Although it raises the handlebars it doesn't provide the setback that some of us "shorter armed" folks need :)

Sure does look nice though.

How about if you switch the risers left to right and mount the bars behind the fork legs instead of in front of them?

That's exactly what I am going to do with the Tomaselli's I have.

Ride well. Ride safe.

-Jack Price

02 V11 Le Mans

01 KTM Duke II

83 V50 III

• 4 weeks later...
Guest vkerrigan

Al...........Williamsville Competition is located in Holland, N.Y. (outside Buffalo) and can be contacted at (716)537-2309 (voice), (716)537-2855 (fax) or www.worldbikes.com/wcompetition/ . All of my questions and ordering info was handled by Al at their shop.............Val K.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jaap

I ordered some R-Tec handlebar-raisers. To fit them properly, I will have to raise the fork legs about 15 mm. How will this affect handling?