Had my turn this past weekend - total electric loss while riding :(

bentombed

i'm riding/ resoting a 2002 Scura.  last Sunday i went out to ride with a mate, rode about 30ks - bike going like a clock.  Jumped off at his place, maybe 45 mins, got back on the bike, dead. no battery at all. checked the fuses, relays - all good.  the dash would light up but the starter just spun.  jump started the bike of his car and good to go again. 20 mins of gentle city riding and i decide to head for home.  As i was riding the tach stopped working, then the lights and then at 110ks on a four lane highway the bike dies.  bit scary and 3 hour wait for a tow truck home. 

checked the bike over today the battery has charge, 12.6, the stator checked ok by my multimeter. still not starting, just spinning and clicking.  i guess the rectifier has fried?  not sure what to check next.

Yah: tach down --> lights down --> bikes dies is classic Relay #2.

12.6v is about 80% for an AGM battery after it wasn't charging from the Relay#2 failure.

Best High current relay commonly available looks to be the CIT:

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/en/cit-relay-and-switch/a11csq12vdc15r-51176058.html#

The first "No Start" condition is likely separate. This often occurs if the "bullet connectors" for the clutch safety switch are compromised:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, docc said:

Yah: tach down --> lights down --> bikes dies is classic Relay #2.

12.6v is about 80% for an AGM battery after it wasn't charging from the Relay#2 failure.

Best High current relay commonly available looks to be the CIT:

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/en/cit-relay-and-switch/a11csq12vdc15r-51176058.html#

The first "No Start" condition is likely separate. This often occurs if the "bullet connectors" for the clutch safety switch are compromised:

i would never of thought to look at the clutch switch - i will take a look today.

thank you.  i'll get some new relays too

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bentombed said:

i would never of thought to look at the clutch switch - i will take a look today.

thank you.  i'll get some new relays too

Anytime we thumb the starter button on a V11 and there is --> NOTHING <-- , no click, no rattle, no buzz: suspect that the clutch switch (more specifically its connectors at the left front of the spine frame beneath the tank) are a concern.

In this case, hold the clutch lever in, push and hold the starter button, and rotate the bars slowly back and forth, lock-to-lock. If the starter "catches", suspect the clutch switch "bullet connectors." The microswitch, itself, can fail or suffer a connection failure at the switch, or the "actuator" captured within the lever housing could be gummed up or stuck.

Thanks for letting us know what you find, @bentombed !

This exact same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago on my RC.  Was riding home on a back road having a great time...looked down and saw my tach not working...oh oh.  About 5 minutes later my bike started running rough, on one cylinder, then just died.  I was able to find a nice Oak shade tree and called for a tow pickup home.  Attempts to restart were met with no cranking.  After checking all, decided to put in some reserve OMRON relays that I had (should've done this on the side of the road).  Anyway, after doing a full tune up, oil change and under tank check on all the connectors, she fired right up and is good to go again.  I do think it was the #2, which I didn't think was as susceptible to issues as the starter circuit. 

Andy  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 8:33 AM, docc said:

Anytime we thumb the starter button on a V11 and there is --> NOTHING <-- , no click, no rattle, no buzz: suspect that the clutch switch (more specifically its connectors at the left front of the spine frame beneath the tank) are a concern.

In this case, hold the clutch lever in, push and hold the starter button, and rotate the bars slowly back and forth, lock-to-lock. If the starter "catches", suspect the clutch switch "bullet connectors." The microswitch, itself, can fail or suffer a connection failure at the switch, or the "actuator" captured within the lever housing could be gummed up or stuck.

Thanks for letting us know what you find, @bentombed !

so i checked the clutch connections, all good. checked the stator, it read fine, changed out relay two and charged the battery, she starts and lives again.  this is leading me to think i have a bad regulator.  i will check that today and see where i am at. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bentombed said:

so i checked the clutch connections, all good. checked the stator, it read fine, changed out relay two and charged the battery, she starts and lives again.  this is leading me to think i have a bad regulator.  i will check that today and see where i am at. 

and now.... well i didnt route the stator wires properly... so now i need my stator repaired. 

• Confused 1

hey @docc   i would like to,  but US postage to Australia is still obscene,  extra $120 to get it here plus the unfriendly exchange rates. .  i can get the stator rewound locally for $150 so i will take that option. more upset about knocking a fin off the rotor,  getting a replacement will be pricey.  
how do i get that Rotor nut off? is it a right hand thread? 

• Like 1