Stelvio/California soft brakes - ABS?

LangleyMalc

I have re-assembled the bike post my last off road adventure, and apart from realizing that the Stelvio is big and heavy, particularly when fully fuelled and loaded with camping gear, I have now come to the realization that I cant ride in sand!

either way, I noticed on the trip that the brakes on the Stelvio are a bit mushy. They have always felt a bit like that. They stop the bike, but  I don’t get the feeling that it will stand on its nose, and the back brake has longer travel than I would like, ( touches the centre stand on full braking) and does not seem to really lock up the back wheel. The brakes were bled by me and fluid replaced at the beginning of the season, but the ABS was not purged as I am too tight to pay the dealer. 

So any suggestions on shortening the brake pull and sharpening up the brakes, or am I going to have to pay the dealer to cycle and purge the ABS?  I do have new pads to go on, but am holding off until I have to fit new tyres this winter. 

separately my 2014 California also has “long and softer” brakes, ( it weighs at least as much as the Stelvio) but the V11 Balabio (no ABS) will stand on its nose and locks up the rear at any opportunity!  

# 1 ABS does not and will not "lock up" any wheel . 

I am not sure exactly how much trouble you have or how much trouble you think you have . ABS on vehicles you need a scanner to properly bleed the brakes . You might be better off to have this looked at by your MG dealer .

I do think stopping could be THE most important feature your motorcycle will ever have , don't you ?

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

# 1 ABS does not and will not "lock up" any wheel . 

I am not sure exactly how much trouble you have or how much trouble you think you have . ABS on vehicles you need a scanner to properly bleed the brakes . You might be better off to have this looked at by your MG dealer .

I do think stopping could be THE most important feature your motorcycle will ever have , don't you ?

Not always, some you can manipulate the ABS module valving manually but if there is no air in the ABS module then normal brake bleeding procedures work as usual. Of course you can always find some deserted road and brake till the ABS kicks in. That will cycle the fluid through the module and run the module pump and force fresh fluid through the module.

Phil

I have a couple observations/experiences to add:

Once, mySport exhibited long pedal travel and I discovered a knackered wheel bearing allowing the wheel to shift and the pedal to dive.

Otherwise, I have routinely found the brakes benefit from restoring piston travel uniformly between the various pistons in a given caliper.

Clean (brake cleaner), press out, rotate with a brake piston tool, clean, press in. Address all pistons in the caliper. Along with the fluid renewal? Magical!

51RppCFXmkL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

My two ABS bikes do stop - just not crisply. Perhaps all I want to know is that everyone else’s bikes of this genre behave the same. However, I feel that would be disappointing and as such choose to believe there must be something I can do about it. 
the $64,000 question is what?

Looks like I need the latest version of GuzziDiag. Then I have to find a Windows computer. Granson has one I think.  I suppose its in keeping with the bikes!  The trouble with Guzzis is that they push you towards excellence and they are relatively easy to work on.
Not sure wether or not that is a good thing but it keeps me amused. 

• Haha 1