Exhaust decision made-request for an advice.

Janusz

Buck,

My bike is a '01 V11 Sport (European)- the pipes look the same as on the LeMans but I have not looked closely. Are different market spec ones different?

Mine are welded internally but as the internals are steel and the outside ally they cannot be welded together, hence the 'sandwich' arrangement.

Good idea about the signature so that we all know year and model that we are discussing. :D

Ooops, can't figure out how to add signature from this page!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your signature will update on it's own. Go up to where it says login or logged in as: and click on Your Control Panel and then under personal profile edit signature. You can point to a url with an image in your signature as well. I change mine periodically. I've noticed that it changes everywhere when that is done. Kind of cool.

I have to tell you folks... I recently installed one of the Stucchi crossovers, and it is absolutely amazing! Definitely improved the sub-5K RPM power of the bike. Highly recommened, even if you are running a completely stock bike. Stucchi did a really good thing when they produced this crossover! I can't emphasize that enough! Prior to this, my bike had two distinct personalities - one below 5K, and one above 5K. After the Stucchi was installed, the power is now nice and smooth accross the whole range.

For the record, my bike has individual K&N pod filters replacing the airbox, and aluminum Mistral cans. The sound is amazing - I like it better than my Ducati (w/ Arrow exhaust). The K&N pod filters help add to the music, also.

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport

Guest mcloutier

Jason can you tell me the model number of the K&N's and if they are the straight ones or the ones with the taper. I think I am going to put them on my bike.

Michael Cloutier

Moses Lake, WA

02' Le Mans

Jason can you tell me the model number of the K&N's and if they are the straight ones or the ones with the taper. I think I am going to put them on my bike.

Michael,

There are probably a few different options, but I decided on the folowing filter model:

K&N RU-0600

round, non-tapered, straight flange

flange: 2-1/4" (57mm)

width: 3-1/2" (89mm)

length: 4" (102mm)

I think this filter provides the most surface area, given the space the filter must fit on. I've seen other filters used, but they are ususally smaller, or sometimes conical, which cuts down the surface area.

Please note that you shouldn't try to mount the filter directly on the throttle body. The filter I specified needs to be mounted on the intakes (that connect the throttle body to the airbox). You have to remove the intakes from the airbox, and then cut off the flared end. Try to keep these intakes as long as possible... only trim off as much as you have to to get the filter to fit. Due to the offset of the cylinders, the right intake may be a bit longer than the left - this is OK. I also used a pipe cutter to score some grooves in the end of the intakes - this helps keep the filters in place by giving them some "tooth" to hold onto.

I had to have my EFI retuned after I got rid of the airbox, as it was a bit lean after the change.

Good luck!

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport

Guest Squashed Nose

A crossover which improves low end response is definitely a good move. However, I am unable to understand why anybody would want to increase the noise produced by their exhausts. Noise regulations are there for a purpose. Okay, as Harley riders have nothing but noise and chrome I can almost understand them wanting to make their machines sound like the tractors they emulate but why do sports bike riders (including Dukes, MGs etc) want to make their bikes louder on the pretext of increasing BHP by a marginal and unnoticable amount. How many riders actually use all the performance available from stock, never mind a virtual increase? It all goes to worsen the image of motorcyclists in the eyes of the non biking public.

I replace exhausts on my bikes when they need replacing. I will spend the money I have not wasted on unneccessary replacements on fuel and oil so that I can keep riding longer, going further (and on the associated servicing costs!) Of course, I cannot take a junior hacksaw to the innards of my stock silencers, or air intakes, for that matter as it will invalidate the warranty.

End of rant.

Wow - good rant !!!! Great to see somebody willing to yell about what they believe.

However as motorcycling is a very personal thing - each to there own for style, feel, and what they want to get out of it there are always going to be those with a different veiw and requirement.

For myself I really want involvement in my vehicles, not only in the maintenance but more importantly in tailoring them to suit my likes/dislikes and style.

Through setting up/modifying to my own taste makes me want to ride even more, and certainly increases my 'pride of ownership' feeling.

Noise (quality, NOT just volume) is a very important sensual aspect of the feel of the bike and I for one am not going to take any notice of politicians or do-gooders that try and enforce 'whats best for us' type crap restrictions on pathetic issues.

Apart from anything else if you ever break the speed limit (if not why the hell run a large bike????) you are breaking a law that has been set for safety reasons - so this is ok but breaking one set for not annoying people is not ok?????????

Strange logic but as long as we all enjoy ourselves stuff-em-all!!!

Guest Squashed Nose

Gavin,

As you have a UK spec bike I assume you are resident in the UK. The urban speed limits have been set for safety reasons and should be adhered to and strictly enforced at all times. If not then you are endangering my family as well as everyone elses. The motorway speed limits were set in order to preserve fuel during the days of the fuel crisis and have never been lifted.

Every motorcyclist who fits an unneccessarily loud exhaust or who pulls stunts on public roads or generally acts like a hooligan ruins it for every motorcyclist as we all get tarred with the same brush.

Ok, I have to agree, tailoring your bike to suit your own tastes is as much fun as riding it. However, knowingly fitting illegal parts is irresponsible.

Guest HI-TECH-CHECK

I have the Mistrals on my MG that I purchased from my MG dealer. Do you suppose he will invalidate my warranty because of it? My FZ1 with the GYTR cannister is too loud even for my tastes and will soon be returned to the stock muffler. Then it will truly be a stealth bike. My Norton with the factory peashooters is too loud. Or is it? I could not find quieter mufflers that would fit and retain the look if I had to. The BMW with a 2 Brothers was so noisy that I installed an insert to tone it down. All these bikes would not meet the 92 db sound test,yet I can drive past any policeman in town without worry. It seems the Harley riders have raised the limit so all the rest can slip by. Does it promote the sport? Probably not. Will it kill the sport? Unlikely. I have been hearing the rants since the the 70's when "less sound equals more ground" was the catch phrase. My dirtbikes have always been un-modified as I truly belive more stealth has been an asset as more off-road riding areas are closed. But I cannot prevent someone else from putting a "Top Gun" muffler on their dirt bike that shakes the forest and can be heard 2 miles away. I just don't ride with those people.

That is what makes America great. :bier:

I have to admit that I am a hypocrit. My apartment overlooks a noisy street. 90% of the cars make a tolerable tire noise going by. But then there is the 10% of loud trucks, fire engines, and cars and motorcycles with aftermarket pipes that go by and I can't hear my television or someone knocking on the door. People are clueless that they are so offensive. But when I hear a Ducati, Honda, Suzuki sport twin go by, I rush to the window to check it out. I just love the sound of our type of bike. I even like the noise of some Harleys, if they don't sound to much like a fart :lol: Two strokes have a nasty sound. If I ever get a dirtbike, it will be a four stroke. And yes I want louder pipes to get more power and to drown out the rattling in my engine :P

Guest JohnInNH

Here we go!

The loud pipes thread.

:rolleyes:

This can go both ways "Loud Pipes Save Lives" and others who feel you have to keep it 100% stock for what ever reason.

I feel if it is so loud it HURTS my ears at 20 feet it then crosses the line and is effecting my right to MY freedom.

I also think a bike should be heard and not just seen :D

The problem is defining the "line".

Straight pipes suck (valves), and reduce power in most applications, yet are very popular with HD folk, and more so with Wannabe's till they grow out of the stage in their life where image is more important then performance. Even in 1% clubs straights pipes are usually put in the back of the pack. I have seen more than one fist fight over them on "runs" back in the "old" days.

Having a prospect with straight pipes blipping his throttle at every chance at red lights and traffic stops can wear thin after a long night with Jack Daniel's. Impressive, NOT, only to those who are impressed by plastic "chrome".

I also think you should be able to hear the bike. If the chain/valves are louder than the pipes something is wrong!

A Guzzi with Mistrals is loud enough for me. I'm sure it offends some, but is nowhere near the straight pipe bark of a HD. I guess it all comes down to moderation and common sense. Both things which are lacking these days.

Regarding the comment about limits are for safety. I beg to differ. The intent has been abused and now revenue generation is a huge factor in a LOT of places.

Let's save the bandwidth and not start up how the 55 MPH limit is for MY safety, or to save gas. Just look at the abuse of the Stop sign, instead of using the gas saving Yield sign.

"knowingly fitting illegal parts is irresponsible." Not always! They can save gas make you bike run better, and even make it safer. The PC-III is one example.