Very off topic but some here might find interesting. I went to an exhibit during a recent trip to Denver. It was a multimedia presentation of Van Gogh's paintings. It was an infusion of video, animation, venue and music. There were mirrored sculptures as well as two rooms running simultaneous presentations and open doors between the rooms amplifying the experience as "a painting within a painting" with fellow patrons silhouetted that become part of the visual experience. There was a great sound system with electronic and classical music such as the famous Bach cello and Mussorgsky "Pictures at an Exhibition".

A few photos, thanks for your indulgence.  I know it's not bike related and not mainstream but now that WG doesn't allow these topics I just wanted to post it. 

p1060868-jpg.46726

p1060896-jpg.46730

p1060897-jpg.46731

p1060889-jpg.46727

p1060904-jpg.46728

p1060909-jpg.46729

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • docc changed the title to Van Gogh Immersion

I don't think you can be "off topic" in your own topic, especially in "Special Banter " . . .

The exhibit looks awesome. So much more engaging than viewing paintings on a wall from behind a velvet rope. Also, so many exhibits prohibit taking pictures now.

My all-time favorite Van Gogh quote. (Substitute "ride/work on your motorcycle", "play music", or what-have-you for "paint") . . .

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,'

then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."

- Vincent Van Gogh

• Like 1

Great quote Docc.  I'd recommend anyone to see these types of events.  The next one scheduled was King Tut.  The Van Gough was so popular they've delayed that one.  Similar exhibits are in other cities.  

This is cool!  There was a wonderful Van Gogh exhibit here in Houston recently...very well put together as well. 

I recall a wonderful visit to the museum in Amsterdam about 15 years ago...have several of those posters hanging in the house.

That sounds like a fantastic immersive experience, well beyond your typical museum exhibit.

After living for a couple of years in Paris, Monsieur Vincent had his most prolific period in Arles, a short ride from where I grew up. In a little over a year he spent there, he produced over 200 paintings and 100+ drawings depicting local life and the countryside of this area in the south of France. Beautiful country with a warm and bright southern light compelled him to work frantically and can be experienced throughout his outdoor paintings there. I should say that it’s also where he lost his mind...

This beautiful countryside is littered with meandering 2 lanes roads from sea to rolling hills, linking small villages through marshes and vineyards and is best experienced on two wheels for all of its sensory palette.. That is where most of my early experience riding motorcycles took place.

@LowRyterThat should tie this topic back up nicely to a more moto-centric subject...  :bike:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw this exhibit when it was here in San Diego. Very cool. 

My next book has a chapter featuring a story about van Gogh's relationship with Paul Gauguin. They lived together in the "yellow house." The chapter subtitle is "lessons from a dysfunctional relationship" and it reveals a lot of new research that causes us to rethink what we know about van Gogh. For example, van Gogh's letters show that it was Gaugin who inspired him to take more risk and explore with his art (Gauguin also influenced Picasso). A recent scientific review of van Gogh's letters suggests that he suffered from bipolar disorder, and was not insane. Bipolar is swinging between bouts of depression and hyperactivity - and yes, he produced nearly one masterpiece per day during that time. There are a few more major surprises in there too, but the book won't be out till next year.

And in case you missed it, Willem Dafoe played van Gogh in "At Eternity's Gate" which portrays a credible alternative to van Gogh's supposed suicide. The film draws from academic research that suggests two boys were playing with a gun that accidentally went off. When van Gogh realized what happened and that he would die, he lied to protect the boys.

• Like 3

Very cool. The VanGogh museum in Amsterdam is on the infernal list of " museums I've set the alarm off" in, much to the amusement of my brother...stuck my nose too close to see the thick paint layers and set off a space alarm. The guards laughed, I was mortified.  Probably can't do that anymore....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
On 8/9/2022 at 4:33 PM, Scud said:

And in case you missed it, Willem Dafoe played van Gogh in "At Eternity's Gate" which portrays a credible alternative to van Gogh's supposed suicide. The film draws from academic research that suggests two boys were playing with a gun that accidentally went off. When van Gogh realized what happened and that he would die, he lied to protect the boys.

Scud, thanks for sharing that theory.  Van Gogh's bullet wound was in the stomach or chest, right?  An unlikely place for a self-inflicted wound.

I saw the exhibit when it was in Boston.  One of the best elements was the pre-exhibit room, that had panels of information on his life and history.

• Like 1

We have a Monet exhibit like that going on in Indy as we speak at the Indy art museum. We are members, so it's free (Guzzi content) :rasta: but haven't made it down yet. I would really like to see the Van Gogh..

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

We have a Monet exhibit like that going on in Indy as we speak at the Indy art museum. We are members, so it's free (Guzzi content) :rasta: but haven't made it down yet. I would really like to see the Van Gogh..

Look like Cincy or Grand Rapids would be closest to you.

https://vangoghexpo.com/

4 hours ago, sign216 said:

Scud, thanks for sharing that theory.  Van Gogh's bullet wound was in the stomach or chest, right?  An unlikely place for a self-inflicted wound.

I saw the exhibit when it was in Boston.  One of the best elements was the pre-exhibit room, that had panels of information on his life and history.

Yeah that part was really interesting. I had just finished my research when I saw the exhibit, and I found it disappointing that all those panels conformed to the standard narrative of van Gogh, whose story has become somewhat mythical. The standard narrative is that after vincent's death, people took another look at his art and began to appreciate it. But in yet another case where a woman's role has been ignored historically, it was Johanna van Gogh-Bonger who got the world to appreciate Vincent's art. The exhibit made only passing mention of her as his brother Theo's wife, but without her, it is likely that van Gogh's work would have been destroyed. Vincent never sold a painting in his life, so they were all "worthless" when she inherited them. And despite being advise to throw Vincent's paintings away, she worked for many years to get them exhibited. There is a bit of her story here on wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johanna_van_Gogh-Bonger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1