Gas mileage

Guest Janusz

Guest mcloutier

I would be curious to find out how peoples break in process relates to their fuel mileage. I used the Moto Man method and I am getting at least 180 miles per tank. I have done 180 miles 2 up with luggage and not ran out of gas.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went loosely by the book, breaking it in slowly, I kept the revs up fairily high, while keeping the throttle light. Varying the speeds as much as possible. 5000RPM max till first oil change at 690 mile, 6000RPM max till second oil change at about 3000miles, 7000RPM max till third at 5240, At that point I considered it broken in, but the engine is feeling better and better as it slowly breaks in. I am now at 17000 miles. The fuel mileage has been pretty consistent with variations mosty due to powercommander changes. I am getting about 33 mpg on 15 mile commutes. Country roads I am getting about 34 mpg. readings are plus or minus 2 mpg. The odometer is probably fast, so my actual mpg is probably even worse. I ran out of gas once, but was too pissed off :angry: to notice the odometer reading nor how much fuel it took. I seem to remember passing the gas station that was out of gas at about 185 miles, (not at all sure). I ran out about 3 miles further down the road. I have not gotten passed 160 miles without a refill since that day. I usually fill with the bike on the side stand, and I fill it up to the bottom of the orifice. There is room for more gas to the top of the rim, but most pumps are too fast to do it cleanly. 40 MPG should allow an easy 200+ mile cruising range. I hate riding with people who get 50MPG <_ once i get the pciii dialed in hope to mpg src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:">