Aircraft Paint Remover for Engine?

bpreynolds

There are only about a zillion threads on here stating guys using this or that to remove the textured engine paint on some models; however, I can’t find any that use aircraft paint remover which is a typical paint remover used on vehicles.  Has anyone used this for removing the textured engine paint?  

It's been several years but I used some old stripper I had on hand from before the eco terrorists took over and ruined everything that works. It was still not easy. Took several days and about 6 or more applications. I wish I'd had my pressure washer then. I had it sealed up very well. The bubbly stuff came off fairly easily but the coating under was a different story. I ended up leaving some on and it turned out well. Only thing I've used lately is for and on wood cabinets. Pretty good, still took 3 coats, and a power wash. Klean strip premium stripper. I've heard about aircraft stripper, still don't know what it is. All else I've used from the box stores do nothing. Let us know what you find and the results. ..and welcome to the forum!

• Thanks 1

Aircraft stripper *used to* have methylene chloride in it. It *really* worked well. It is not in it any more for good reason.. and it doesn't work nearly as well, either

I was involved with carcinogens in the tool room at GM, and it most likely didn't do me any favors. :angry2: Here's what methylene chloride can do:

• Nervous system effects such as cognitive impairment, effects on attention
  • Cancer of the liver, brain, and lung, as well as non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma or multiple myeloma
  • Liver toxicity
  • Kidney toxicity
  • Reproductive toxicity
  • Thanks 2

I used Rust Oleum brand Aircraft Remover on two engines, trannies, and final drives. In some spots it just scraped off, but in others, it still took a lot of work.

• Like 1

The main issue with the crinkle finish is it's by nature quite thickly applied. I stripped it off a gearbox a few years ago for the V10 Sport and in some locations it was 2mm thick. Took a lot of work and many applications of automotive stripper of several different brands. personally I'd get anything with this finish professionally chemically stripped where they can leave it in a tank for a few days.

Phil

• Like 1

^agree with Phil on this. I don't want to do do that job again. Kindy02 did a fabulous job on a Scura having all the cases stripped (or media-blasted) then powder-coated. Obviously, this approach is only available after removing all moving parts and bearings. If one wants to repaint the engine or tranny without a rebuild, the stripper is the only (semi)-practical solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1