Reusable silicon gaskets

LaGrasta

3 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

"And find they're difficult to reuse once they get a little bent."

You must be speaking of something else. Impossible, these cannot bend.

Really?  Then tell me the ones I took off my EV don't look like rolled up caterpillars. 

Perhaps if I put them in a book and closed the cover?  <_<

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

Really?  Then tell me the ones I took off my EV don't look like rolled up caterpillars. 

Perhaps if I put them in a book and closed the cover?  <_<

4 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

"And find they're difficult to reuse once they get a little bent."

You must be speaking of something else. Impossible, these cannot bend.

I count three different gaskets in the discussion. The originally posted silicon gaskets ("Real Gasket"), the highly recommended metal gasket with self bonding surfaces, as well as references to the OEM "paper" (actually composite) gaskets.

Frankly, I've found the thread hard to follow. :blink:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Docc,

1.  I mentioned that the silicone valve cover gaskets curled up after I removed them.  They're squirmy to install and I've had a couple of them break the ears off.  At one time, I had one silicone and one paper gasket on one of my bikes. 

2 . I've found the green paper ones install best when glued on the head with grease and then aligning the valve cover. 

3.  Donnie at the Guzzi Tulsa shop mentioned that the later sandwich gaskets worked better.  I misunderstood him and thought the didn't fit my V11 series.  Lucky Phil and Pete corrected that for me and confirmed that they would fit.

4.  In the future I'll look for the newer style valve cover gaskets.

5.  I still might be confused.  :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

:D  Haha:    " 5.  I still might be confused.  :ph34r: "

Thanks for the clarifications. Yours weren't the only posts that had me confused. But, that's on me. :wacko:

I looked in my pile and see my replacement valve cover gaskets, for my thinning originals, are the green OEM "whatever-the-hell-they're-made-of "  type. I did get the metal type for my eventual timing chest gasket change (also still original).

The RealGasket silicone jobs go with me to places like the SpineRaid where a sudden need might arise. ( Thank you, @HRC_V4 ! )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The general consensus on this and other MG boards has been that these are the best valve cover gaskets available for your V11 ➔ Valpolini.

Here:   https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4634:18fc72d8b8aba03a4d84f66efabce82e

Or for any other square head 2V big blocks for that matter..

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

The general consensus on this and other MG boards has been that these are the best valve cover gaskets available for your V11 ➔ Valpolini.

Here:   https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4634:18fc72d8b8aba03a4d84f66efabce82e

Or for any other square head 2V big blocks for that matter..

Because I was uncertain those are compatible with our V11:

976139b.jpg

I bought the OEM green ones:

14023760b.jpg

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=170_174&products_id=422

I am certain they fit, lasted me all this time, and are $2.50US less, EACH. That-there is five bucks, rat'chere. :mg:  :whistle:

10 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I can guarantee you they fit docc. Same as 1100 Griso valve covers fit a V11.

Phil

But V11 Sport valve cover gaskets WILL NOT fit the later models?

7 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Can't see why they wouldn't docc. You might need to lengthen the plug leads though.

Phil

I don't understand that.  If a V11 valve cover gasket, of whatever type (Silcone, metal, OEM) is fitted to a later BigBlock, it will seal the valve cover? Yet the plug lead will no longer reach?

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, docc said:

I don't understand that.  If a V11 valve cover gasket, of whatever type (Silcone, metal, OEM) is fitted to a later BigBlock, it will seal the valve cover? Yet the plug lead will no longer reach?

Because the plug leads for the later valve covers come over the top of the valve cover under the black plastic cover/crash pad and the original ones come around the back of the head.

DSC00879.JPG

Phil

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, docc said:

And the valve cover gasket thickness could compromise that reach?  Wow, that is tight tolerance!

No docc but the later engines that run the plug lead over the valve cover might be a tad short if you use the early cover on the later engine and then run the plug lead around the back of the cylinder like the v11 Sport.

EDIT..... sorry docc I didn't see the "gasket" in your earlier post. Thought you were talking about the valve covers. All square fin 2 valve engine rocker cover gaskets are interchangeable as far as I know.

Phil

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarification. Just talking gasket compatibility here.

If I carry these spare V11 "square fin"(silicone) gaskets for someone's bad day, what will they seal (if even temporarily)?

Sure: V11 (Sport/LeMans/EV), but also earlier square fins? Later BigBlocks (1100, 1200 2Valve? 4Valve? "8Valve?")

All of these valve cover gaskets are interchangeable?

• Thanks 1