Airbox (Top) Eliminator Kit - Fast by Ferraci

al_roethlisberger

Hi,

So has anyone had any experience good or bad with the airbox lid eliminator kit from Fast by Ferraci? I am curious about anyone's observations, quality, performance, etc...

Also, once installed, will it require a remap of the injection? It seems like it would??

Thanks in advance :)

al

Guest HI-TECH-CHECK

I have the eliminator on my 02 Lemans. I was tempted to put a K&N and cut the plastic air inlet to hold the filter in place but I was concerned about reverting back to stock ,,,just in case. The kit is easy to install once the gas tank is removed. An aluminum frame holds the supplied filter down with 2 screws,one stock and one supplied. Quality is very good. I have not re-mapped the computer . I do have the Mistral canisters installed. I did not re-map after installation of them either. I am located at 5000 ft elevation.

Observations to date. 1) There is a lot of intake "honk" 2) Easier starting with less cranking 3) Fuel mileage increased from 29 mpg to 40 mpg. 4)I am still looking for the mid-range dip everyone talks about. Maybe it is the altitude,maybe it is the Mistrals,but I don't have it. 5) It sounds "bitchen" on take-off. Better than any Harley I've ever heard or owned :D

...wow, that's quite a bit of fuel-economy increase. Just to clarify, your observed increase in fuel economy was with the addition of the elimimator alone?? Other than the increased "noise"(which some may like), are there any downsides you've(or anyone else) has observed?

I've already got a K&N and F-by-F sells the frame, so this would be a pretty cheap upgrade at about $40. ...and heck, I wasn't even banking on increased fuel-economy!

al

Guest HI-TECH-CHECK

Fuel mileage increase verified with 3 tank fills to date. Previously only the Mistrals were on. The bike does not smell as rich and that pesky exhaust leak that formerly left a black soot trace up the pipe ( I really have to get around to sealing that with some hi-temp silicone) has all but dis-appeared.

There is no reason a low tech motor like the Guzzi should not get at least the same mileage as my BMW. :lol:

>Maybe if you remove what's left of the airbox your gas milage will reach 100 mpg?

>Might be worth a try.

It's all that weight! Heck, I filled my frame with helium to improve handling. :helmet:

Ok, just kidding. I've the K&N pods, mistrals, and remapped stock computer. I do notice a bit of the midrange doldrums, so I just stay out of midrange. Love the way it sounds, now. I have no idea what kind of gas mileage I get.

Cheers,

Jason

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull
Fuel mileage increase verified with 3 tank fills to date. Previously only the Mistrals were on. The bike does not smell as rich and that pesky exhaust leak that formerly left a black soot trace up the pipe ( I really have to get around to sealing that with some hi-temp silicone) has all but dis-appeared.

There is no reason a low tech motor like the Guzzi should not get at least the same mileage as my BMW.  :lol:

So far no negatives with mine. I've ridden in heavy rains and no problem with water in the intake. I can't seem to get more than 39mpg under normal conditions. I did a fairly calm highway ride and got about 42. Normal conditions for me is cruising at 80mph - triple digits. :helmet: Also, I'm running Ferracci slip-ons, the airbox conversion kit and a custom mapped PCIII by Eraldo Ferracci himself.

Thx for the reviews guys :)

Well, I've got my kit on the way so I'll have to track my mileage, etc. as well. I've currently got my stock cans drilled, and will be ordering my Stucci X-over fairly soon, so it'll be interesting to see performance following the mods.

I also moved my left exhaust hanger to the outside of the left passenger peg mount, so from the rear, the exhaust cans are now within 3/4 of an inch "even" instead of the cockeyed/uneven placement with the right can over an inch and a half further kicked-out than the left.... I still can't believe Guzzi didn't even those out when they widened the rear-wheel in 2002 instead of just pushing the whole right passenger peg and exhaust out. It would've been an easy fix to move them both out a bit and recenter them, and it's fairly obvious when looking at the rear of the bike that they are not.

Heck, the right passenger peg mount is angled waaay out further than the left... very obvious. Anyway, it's more-or-less fixed from a casual glance now. You almost have to measure it to tell the slight difference. I could make it a bit closer if I modified the actual hangars/brackets to be the same(the right hanger isn't flat, it has a 'kick out' too). But I think it will be fine :)

I do wish the passenger peg mounts/hangars looked the same from the rear though... it's a shame.

Anyway ...and ...if funds permit, I'm still thinking about sending my heads off for porting, and maybe dual-plugging this winter. But that will be a $1k bill, so we'll see.

Hopefully the weather will stay nice long enough after I get the airbox kit to give it a try and see how these all sound and perform together :rolleyes:

al

Guest HI-TECH-CHECK

I have vowed never to align mufflers or fenders to someone else's centerline unless I have at least 2 beers under my belt. :lol::bier: