Front brake calliper upgrade

Lucky Phil

10 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Well Phil, why don't you spell them out for the stupid among us? Listen, everyone tolerates your irascibility because you know your stuff, but you would do well to internalize the fact that you're not some oracle of knowledge. I doubt that there's anything you know about brake calipers that I don't, and that I simply stated the core purpose without flinging academia and gratuitous erudition to people who haven't asked and probably don't care. 

Let's not turn this place into Wildguzzi, ok? Slow your roll.

Why? How much fucking time do you think I have in my life. I give away what I've learned here for free, you don't like my style then block my posts. You don't value or agree with the info then just ignore it. Same for anyone here, you got a problem with the delivery then don't read my posts or PM docc and get me kicked off the board. Seriously in the grand scheme of things I really don't give a shit at the end of the day. As a matter of fact I think I'm done here.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Why? How much fucking time do you think I have in my life. I give away what I've learned here for free, you don't like my style then block my posts. You don't value or agree with the info then just ignore it. Same for anyone here, you got a problem with the delivery then don't read my posts or PM docc and get me kicked off the board. Seriously in the grand scheme of things I really don't give a shit at the end of the day. As a matter of fact I think I'm done here.  

What a travesty. For one, docc doesn't "kick [people] off the board." 

I suppose the more considerable concern for us, as a small community, is our "tone" or general decorum. This is as grumpy a thread I've seen in a long, long time. Over what? Brakes? "Delivery?" Some perceived slight to one's knowledge or contribution? 

FWIW, I was learning a little more and more all along the discussion. Until it got unnecessarily "personal." 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Topic moderation:

Since the Original Post is specifically about a modification to the original V11 brakes, I see no value in attempting to further discuss the original brake configuration.  Certainly, there is no value to further belabor any perceived offenses to our sensibilities. I see everyone got the opportunity to reply in that regard.

This thread has not been locked. Only this post has been reported.

If the Original Poster would like to let us know how his 4-pad brake calipers work out, that would be great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

None here are children, Phil. Nobody gets paid. I'm not here for my ego, I'm here to learn and for some community. 
We all learn a lot from you, and your 'style' doesn't ruffle my feathers. But I won't tolerate a direct insult to my credibility in the form of a Straw Man when a simple follow-up question would have clarified. 

I am reluctant to jump into this shitshow, but here is something that some here may not understand.

In the world of brakes, brake pistons, and brake pads,  it is not about which one moves first. It is about pressure applied to press the pads against the rotors. Even pad wear is about managing the pressure of the pads against the rotor. The pads are never far from the rotors, the distance the pistons travel in a typical application of the brakes is tiny. So whether one moves first or not isn't really what it is about. It is about applying the right pressure across the brake pad(s).

That pressure is a product of the ratio between the master cylinder and the piston applying the pressure to that brake pad. Different size slave pistons change that pressure applied for a given amount of pressure at the master cylinder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

I am reluctant to jump into this shitshow, but here is something that some here may not understand.

In the world of brakes, brake pistons, and brake pads,  it is not about which one moves first. It is about pressure applied to press the pads against the rotors. Even pad wear is about managing the pressure of the pads against the rotor. The pads are never far from the rotors, the distance the pistons travel in a typical application of the brakes is tiny. So whether one moves first or not isn't really what it is about. It is about applying the right pressure across the brake pad(s).

That pressure is a product of the ratio between the master cylinder and the piston applying the pressure to that brake pad. Different size slave pistons change that pressure applied for a given amount of pressure at the master cylinder.

I have likely confused the issue asking about this in reference to brake maintenance. At each wheel-off event, I try to take the time to remove (clean) the pads, pump the pistons out a bit to clean (BrakeKlean spray) and rotate them with a piston tool.

Of the four pistons, one always moves very easily (first) and one will always be "last."  I've always interpreted that as "starting to stick" (to some degree). "Equalizing" the movement by cleaning, rotating, and pressing the pistons in and out individually has always given me notably improved braking.

Learning about the differential piston size helps me realize that not all of the pistons are going to move "equally."

On 8/30/2022 at 3:44 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Sounds like you were having a bad day Phil..We all have them...(  Especially me, I've been on the wagon for 2 weeks). I hope to continue to see you here as you are a valuable contributor imo.  Cheers!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As a minnow in this field (er, or err, a baby wabbit in this pond?), I’d just like to draw our attention to just how fucking beautiful the design of the modern brake caliper is.  A damn triumph of simple and effective design.  So few parts, so reliable, so easy for a home mech to service.

The ins and outs of the gradual refinements are interesting if it pertains to your personal use of them, but it’d be sad to see us fall out over it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1