Choke improvement

Guest Brent

This alteration may seem trivial to the more experienced, but I hope there are some who will benefit from seeing how I improved the choke on my 2002 LeMans.

Before the improvement, the choke lever was very hard to slide (engage) because the compression spring MG used was, in my opinion, too tight for the job. And even without the spring, the advancement mechanism (sorry, don't know what it's called, but it's at the end of the choke cable) wouldn't advance far enough to do much good. So, what I did was:

1. Replaced the spring with a 5/16" x 1" (silver colored) spring that compresses easier than MG's spring. I cut about 1.5 coils from the spring for a better fit.

2. Extended the rounded edge of the advancement mechanism (that makes contact with a roller) by bonding a length of copper wire to it. I used a piece of the thinest solid grounding wire that I could find, and bent it to match the contour of the rounded edge as closely as possible. I sanded/dremeled the edge of the wire that's closest to the roller to prevent any contact while the choke lever is not advanced.

I also replaced my spring with a "lighter" one. I didn't have to add anything to the throttle kicker though. (The curved part that opens the throttle plates.) The small roller that is touched by the kicker is adjustable on my Scura. It has a small flathead screw that holds it in place.

Eric, unfortunately I don't have a digital camera. I'm really going to have to get one!

Maybe a better explanation of the change I made would help you? I'd be happy to explain further if you'd let me know what area is unclear. Maybe all of it... :unsure:

Guest Squashed Nose

When I picked up my bike the fast idle mechanism was not engaging with the throttle at all. After shouting at the dealer several times, they eventually got it to work. However, I find that it will not stay engaged due to either insufficient friction at the lever or too strong a return spring (whichever way you look at it the problem is the same). As my bike is still under warranty I will not muck about with it myself but will endeavour to get the dealer to sort it. Unfortunately, they seem more interested in their Ducati, Aprilia and Yamaha customers!

Guest JohnInNH

Mine also does not engage. With the lever fully engaged the parts just bairly make contact. .. IMHO the factory setup is a joke.

The throttlemeister it the fix! :wub:

The factory set up on these IS a joke. A spring from a retractable ballpoint pen makes a good substitute. (I used a Parker pen!) Install one of those and properly adjust the engagement cam/cable and it's set for life!

I don't think it'd be a good idea to use that as a cruise control. If you had to stop suddenly the throttle won't shut and the engine power will fight the brakes.

I use a throttle rocker over my gel grip. I can ride all day with no strain at all. I've had two carpal tunnel operations, so I'm a good candidate for a cruise control.

Placing a greased 1/8" O ring between the grip and throttle assembly makes a good cruise control too. Throttle is still smooth to twist, but the O ring applies just enough pressure to hold it still when you let go.

I liked the throttle rocker so much though that I no longer use the O ring.

I needed cruise control far more before carpal tunnel surgery than after. Still, a good cruise control is a wonderful thing. I even had an automobile cruise control on my Sport 1100i for about 20,000 miles. Not entirely suitable for a motorcycle for a number of reasons (specific to that cruise control), but it was a nice item, unique for a Guzzi (or any motorcycle, as this was the first all-electronic [no vacuum] motorcycle cruise control installation in the world that I know of. For 2001, that all changed with new Honda GoldWing), and it had the added safety features that any clutch or brake activation would disengage it instantly. I even got 51mpg @ 79mph cruise on a hot slab run back from San Diego in 1999. I'm still scratching my head trying to find space for similar installation on the V11...

I get the feeling that dlaing was having a laugh.

Nope, just a crazy idea! And a bit of a long shot to make it work correctly.

I guess you could not set it so that closing the throttle with the grip would deactivate it.

If I were to use it that way, I would move it to the right handlebar, and use it very carefully. ie. just long enough to shake off stiffness, or warm up the right hand on the valve cover.

Safety first.

Hi,

on the cruise control subject .... on my Transalp I use a throttle rocker (http://www.throttlerocker.com/) which I find very useful for long distance rides. Easy to put on, easy to take off (less than a minute :) ).

Useful & cheap.

Haven't tried it yet on my V11 though.