crossover help

tomsp

Wednesday night. I just finished installing Throttlemeister weights/control (very fast and easy) and took my 03 lemans out to test it. Sounded "rattly" (is that a word). Got back and noticed right off that my crossover pipe in front of my alternator cover was loose. The stainless clamp on one side was missing. The clamp on the other side was there, but the crossover was really loose still. From the missing side a piece of braided ribbon was hanging out. So my question is what else besides the clamp keeps that crossover tight? What all is supposed to be in those joints linking the crossover to the header pipes? :( Any info will be valued!

Also-- the remaining clamp looks like its weld-tacked to the pipe so even when I backed the hex bolt all the way out, the clamp isn't going anywhere. Are they supposed to be welded in place? Thanks

Well, first.... are you talking about a Stucchi x-over, or the OEM front x-over(in front of the alternator)? It sounds like the latter, and I am going to assume so....

So, with that in mind ^_^ ... this is a relatively common problem unfortunately. If you do a search for "loose", "front crossover", or similar, I bet you'll find several threads on the subject.

It seems that with the reintroduction of the "front x-over" in 2003(it was on several older Guzzis), many owners have found that the front x-over works loose and "flops" around, in a few cases damaging the alternator cover.

The braided ribbon hanging out I suspect is the gasket packing that has worked out while your x-over was moving around after the clamp came off.

Now, what's interesting, and the first I've ever heard... is that you are actually missing a clamp :( Although I haven't looked closely at one of the new front x-overs in a while, if they are anything like the OEM clamps on the rest of the exhaust system... yes, it should have been spot-welded on. So I don't know how it could have come off. This would definitely be a warantee issue... although these SS T-clamps are readily available at any exhaust shop.

Normally, I would just tell you to re-tighten down the clamps, and ride.... but with one clamp actually gone... well... I'd say visit your dealer for a new x-over.

That being said, also see threads like:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2528

Hopefully that helps a bit. This is a common problem with the 2003+ bikes, although it's not catestrophic.

al

FYI - the Stucchi x-over is an aftermarket brand for the OEM x-over that is located under the transmission, not the front x-over on the 2003+ models ;)

It looks like this:

V11Sportcrossover.jpg

Good hearing from you Al! OK, (duh) it's the OEM crossover in Front of the alternator cover , not the Stucchi under! I called a dealer in Sacto (who is a really good guy and who I trust)- he wanted me to bring the bike in but he felt mg would not warranty it cause (1) things are shakey at mg right now (!) and (2) if it was caused by vibration then warranty wouldn't cover it anyway. :o

I'm thinking in that case just to do it myself or bring to a local shop. One of the crossover strings on this site has a terrific looking coupling gasket someone manufactured for this crossover for this type of problem. People were interested in buying these but no address was given. Do you know where those can be had??? :unsure:

thanks - this is a great site!

Good hearing from you Al!  OK, (duh) it's the OEM crossover in Front of the alternator cover , not the Stucchi under!  I called a dealer in Sacto (who is a really good guy and who I trust)- he wanted me to bring the bike in but he felt mg would not warranty it cause (1) things are shakey at mg right now (!) and (2) if it was caused by vibration then warranty wouldn't cover it anyway. :o

I'm thinking in that case just to do it myself or bring to a local shop.  One of the crossover strings on this site has a terrific looking coupling gasket someone manufactured for this crossover for this type of problem.  People were interested in buying these but no address was given.  Do you know where those can be had??? :unsure:

thanks - this is a great site!

Tom,

I'm well ahead of ya, see my post above, it has the link to that very thread ;)

Here it is again: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2528

Although I'm sure the dealer you're talking about is indeed a nice guy, I don't see how point #2 is in any way valid, as this part is designed(arguably well or not :rolleyes: ) to NOT fall off under normal use, which of course includes a great deal of vibration :P

Point #1 however, may unfortunately be more true, legal or not.... <_>

I myself still haven't heard back on a couple warrantee issues I've got outstanding.

al

Great and cool. I emailed Turtle. Will wait for reply. On the dealer thing-- That one did say that he is currently waiting to hear about warranty requests already submitted. :wacko:

And, cause everyone probably thinks I'm very delayed -- I did go to your fine link above but could'nt figure out that all I needed to do was contact--via this site-- the person who made those great looking collars! Oh brother.

I called mg cycle and two dealers about getting another ss band clamp for the crossover pipe. MG Cycle was the most help - the two dealers didn't have the clamps or the part numbers-- but none could really tell what size clamp fits there! MG cycle thought it was a 42.5mm band. Anyone care to add their 2cents here? :wacko:

I have no idea, but I'd also call MPH Cycles in Houston and Moto International in Seattle, and ask their service/parts guys.

Both shops seem to go the "extra mile" in researching things, so could probably look it up for you(or measure it as best they can), if possible.

al