Spring is sprung

belfastguzzi

Bugger!! After Helen's spring breaking the other day, guess what? Mine broke near Stoke leaving me to ride home 90 miles at 6500 revs on the motorway, like sitting on a jack hammer!!

Guy  :helmet:

55605[/snapback]

Grief! The strange thing is that your's is a 2004 model. It will be interesting to see what the parts measurements are.

I think mine was manufactured in 2003 although I bought in March 2004. Having the job done under warranty, by coincidence I had it booked in for its 12000 mile service on Thursday- I'll let you know how big the boss is.

• 1 year later...

ohhh.... so now I understand why when shopping for a used Lemans I found so many 2002's with 4000 to 5000 miles For Sale. (including the one I finally purchased).

So I wonder what the likelyhood is of mine breaking soon as it has 4300 miles on it now? Geez.... live and learn. :blush:

More like this..

borat-preview-1.jpg

I see that P.Ropey has persuaded John to get rid of the sandals and put some decent shoes on. Wonder what they're all eating now? Down at the Beach Hut. Not that I'm jealous.

• 2 months later...

mmm.. can't wait til mine breaks again ...

Thanks a lot for saving my holiday. Your article rescued me. I had nice ride with temporary fix, while waiting the shops opening after Christmas and New Year holidays.

I got a plan when making the temporary fix: As the lever is vertical and spring is supposed to push it forward, possibly I could change a gear while braking!

Luckily the temporary fix didn't last but few hundred kilometers, and I was able to try the trick.

It works.

While braking by front brake, the gear changer works.

I didn't go higher that 3rd and returned to the safe 2nd gear soon. It is good to know this trick, as something can be done before the bike stops.

I write this hoping it may help somebody to resque the bike home or to a workshop.

• 2 weeks later...

and I was able to try the trick.

It works.

While braking by front brake, the gear changer works.

I didn't go higher that 3rd and returned to the safe 2nd gear soon. It is good to know this trick, as something can be done before the bike stops.

I write this hoping it may help somebody to resque the bike home or to a workshop.

mmm... can't wait 'til mine breaks again!

(A chap from Sydney, Australia e-mailed over Christmas. His broke over the hols too.)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Gary, the numbers are here definitely somewhere. I forget where and don't see them on having a quick look. If no-one else posts I 'll look again later. It would be a good idea to then post them clearly. However I would think that the part numbers which dealers have now must be for the correct (large coil) parts and it would be safe to just order?

I found them, 04238300 for the spring and 04235101 for the pawl arm. think i will get a spring ( just in case). Harry phoned me at the weekend and the spring went on his Rossa Corsa.

Cheers

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to list as my prawl spring thingie broke - for the second time - today on my way home from work. Managed to sneak home in 1st gear at 6.000 rpm going 60 km/h.

Pleased as fook, chuffed like hell... :not:

Søren

PS: Tried to find a decent translation of the word 'boss' but the only thing that comes up is 'boss' (surprise, surprise) as it's the same in Danish. I'm referring to the boss where the spring is attached. Any good suggestions in either German, Dutch, Swedish, Urdu or Swahili? Please help, senores.

TIA

Søren

PPS: And thanks for the reference numbers, Gary. I was also scrolling through various links in order to find them.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the pictures, they will hopefully not be needed but I could see doing this in the winter just as a preventative measure.

I occasionally find a false neutral between 3-4 up shift but it just may be my small feet. I am going to research the adjustments mentioned first.

If I have to take things apart to make the adjustment ( unknown to me at this time) I may do thos upgrade as well.