Spring is sprung

belfastguzzi

I have a 2002 v11 sport and want to do the pawl spring fix / check before a trip to highlands of Scotland in June. I can't see the images in Belfast Guzzis article.... is there some way to access them?

Regards ridon29

I'm doing the Highlands and Islands thing too in early July. Have a good one and let me know any good roads etc. afterwards. Pass of the Cattle perhaps?? :o

I'm not going in there to fix what ain't broke as it's not done me wrong so far... but I'm taking spare spring and tools just in case.

I was wondering if external circlip pliers are needed/desirable for the process? Anyone know, if so, I'll sling in a pair.

AndyH

You do.

Are you gonna hit Skye?Spent a couple days up there in March and roads up to it were stunning.Plockton Inn was a good deal for bed/dinner/breakfast a few miles from the bridge.

You do.

Are you gonna hit Skye?Spent a couple days up there in March and roads up to it were stunning.Plockton Inn was a good deal for bed/dinner/breakfast a few miles from the bridge.

Been to Skye before but not on a bike so I know it. I've got some friends who've just moved there that I'll be staying with too so Skye's on the route and no need for accommodation but good to know that kind of info, thanks.

Looking for B & B recommendations on Mull and Harris/Lewis too, if anyone knows bike friendly places?

Yes, those roads will be amazing, looking forward to it :bike:- just mind the wandering sheep. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I just joined the "Broken Shift Return Spring" Club on my way home from work today.Managed to get it into 3rd gear.

It's a good thing i only live 5 miles from work.

Anyway,i was wondering what it entails replacing the spring.

I think i have a shop manual for my bike(2004 V11 Lemans)somewhere around the house but it might be quicker to visit the Factory and watch them assemble one.

I didn't really study my bike to closely tonight as i had to rearrange the order of my bikes so i could ride my Sport 1100 while i'm working on the V11 .

Thanks for any support

Mike

Hi Mike

Ive been in there a couple,2-3 times Im over in Accord if you need help.I may also have an extra spring.

Basically the procedure is,

Disconnect battery

Take off shock remote

Take off starter cover

Dump trans box fluid save it if it's recent,replace if it been more than a couple seasons

Take off connections to starter

Disconnect neutral switch

Remove starter

disconnect gear change linkage

remove the 11?! bolts that hold on cover,may have to tap off with a rubber mallet and yer in

Take note of the position of the section gears there should be two indents to indicate alignment

Yours may have extra bracing that Guzzi added later,mine doesn't

Some info from one of my expeditions,with dumb newbie questions,that was about 4 times ago and the clutch was probably the reason why it shifted badly,but hey I can get the cover off in about 15-20 mins now :homer:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16884&st=0&p=180879&fromsearch=1entry180879

Michael

Hi Michael.

Sorry to not get back to you earlier.I bought a spring just from reading comments.The day after it came i pulled it apart.not too bad of a job.I think it was in 3rd gear when it stuck,so i thought i could leave it there when i put it back together.I couldn't fit the cover back on so i put the tranny in Nuetral and lined up the marks on the gears.Still wouldn't go back on.Lesson learned.I noticed that the shifting forks were sliding because my bike was not level.After i leveled it,piece of cake.

Thanks for you help Michael.

Oh and i live near hudson.

i used to race down at Accord Speedway with my brother and buddies in the 70's

• 10 years later...

is this a record...my gear return spring has just broken...at 28500miles.....2002 RossoMandello.

Just gotta find a new one for a now obsolete motorcycle...grrr

Strikes me that if Guzzi knew there an issue with incorrectly manufactured parts they should have replaced every broken one FOC...its a manufacturing defect from NEW!

54 minutes ago, rossoandy said:

is this a record...my gear return spring has just broken...at 28500miles.....2002 RossoMandello.

Strikes me that if Guzzi knew there an issue with incorrectly manufactured parts they should have replaced every broken one FOC...its a manufacturing defect from NEW!

Your in the right place...Contact @Scud and replace it with a good one..and probably never have to do it again.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, rossoandy said:

Just for the record, Stein Dinse has them. The Z at the end of the part number indicates that it is from a third-party supplier, but I can't say who that supplier might be.

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=455346

04238200-z.jpg

edit: Wendel in Berlin seems to have one (only) left:

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/feder_gu04238200-p-1028587.html?ref=expl

I've got one of the "improved" ones from @Chuck sitting here waiting to be installed. ;)

• Confused 1

There are three springs in the mechanism. The one that commonly breaks has been redesigned, expertly, by @Chuck.  Message @Scud to obtain one.

Accept no substitutes! :oldgit:

• Like 5

... or some UK-based enthusiast may have a spare stash of springs that we built and you could acquire locally. 

Otherwise, happy to send one along, but I might not be able to post it for about a week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Scud said:

... or some UK-based enthusiast may have a spare stash of springs that we built and you could acquire locally.

you could try contacting Steve S. Maybe he got a few spares.... :huh2:

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, docc said:

There are three springs in the mechanism. The one that commonly breaks has been redesigned, expertly, by @Chuck.  Message @Scud to obtain one.

Accept no substitutes! :oldgit:

For purposes of clarity,  "Return" spring (left) / "Detent Roller" spring (right):

IMG_3089.jpg

[Above: the difference in spring shape after about 90,000 miles/145.000 km]

[Below] - Top: 64,000 mile factory pawl spring; Middle: new factory spring; Bottom: ChuckScud Superspring:

IMG_3088.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/1/2023 at 6:47 PM, audiomick said:

Just for the record, Stein Dinse has them. The Z at the end of the part number indicates that it is from a third-party supplier, but I can't say who that supplier might be.

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=455346

04238200-z.jpg

edit: Wendel in Berlin seems to have one (only) left:

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/feder_gu04238200-p-1028587.html?ref=expl

I've got one of the "improved" ones from @Chuck sitting here waiting to be installed. ;)

sTEIN DINSE ARE SENDING ONE TO ME...THANKS FOR THAT,   dont look too bad to change it either.

2 minutes ago, rossoandy said:

sTEIN DINSE ARE SENDING ONE TO ME...THANKS FOR THAT,   dont look too bad to change it either.

I would have to strongly recommend you source the pawl spring (from @Scud) as well. It is so unlikely the "Detent Roller" spring shown in the Stein-Dinse link is the problem . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, docc said:

...the "Detent Roller" spring shown in the Stein-Dinse link...

oops, didn't look hard enough at the drawings when I went looking for that link... :blink:

I've got a Scud spring here, too. Should have got it out to help me in the search.

So, for the record:

Stein Dinse has two alternatives. One, the cheaper one, has a -Z number, the other might be original Guzzi:

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=455347

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=1680

Wendel has one too, possibly original. The page says they have 4 in the store. Don't know if they can get more after that.

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/feder_gu04238300-p-1028588.html?ref=expl

HOWEVER, that is not meant as a recommendation to buy them instead of a Scud spring. Rather, it is more to show that

On 5/1/2023 at 6:22 PM, rossoandy said:

... a new one for a now obsolete motorcycle...

is not always as hard as it seems it might be.

As mentioned, I have a Scud spring here waiting to be installed... :)