gearbox V11 le mans 2002

dowieze

The shift selector spring has been replaced a few months ago.  I have had since then problems to shift down.  Problem has not been solved.  Now for the second down gearbox problems.  Maybe I can used such a new spring.  First I let inspect the gearbox.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I suggest first lifting the rear wheel. See if you can get it to shift when you rock the wheel back and forth. A lot of problems are due to obstructed or sticky linkage. So you might want to pull the starter and get a good view of everything. Check that the pivot bolt is not too tight. Check everything before you pull the cover off (it needs to be removed before you remove the cover anyway, so just take your time with disassembly. 

Even though your spring was replaced recently, new ones have been known to fail after only a few thousand miles. That happened to me and was one of the reasons I got involved with the effort to re-engineer the shift spring.

One more test for you to consider. This is based on the premise that the internal shifting arm needs to be pushed toward the front of the bike to engage (that's what the spring does). If you have a small hill, roll the bike down and hit the brakes hard. Sometimes this will cause the internal shift mechanism to go back into place and you will get one or two shifts before it falls out again. If that happens, the spring is almost certainly broken.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm looking for a decent shift selector spring.  They are hard to find in Belgium.  I've read that you have a re-engineered spring.  Is it possible to buy such a spring?  I can not find any information about the sending cost for a secure envelope to Belgium - Europe.  Maybe you have some experience in sending to Europe.  Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dowieze said:

I'm looking for a decent shift selector spring.  They are hard to find in Belgium.  I've read that you have a re-engineered spring.  Is it possible to buy such a spring?  I can not find any information about the sending cost for a secure envelope to Belgium - Europe.  Maybe you have some experience in sending to Europe.  Thanks 

I'd wager someone here can get you one.   There's pages on how Chuck and Scud made new springs.  

2 hours ago, dowieze said:

A mailer from USPS to Belgium will probably be somewhere between 12-15 US dollars. Paging @Scud Mr. Scudder to the courtesy phone, please..

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, docc said:

If the shift plate must come off for the new, improved SuperSpring, @dowieze, definitely apply :notworthy:@Lucky Phil's deft methods to the internal shift mechanism:

And for full enjoyment it’s best to assemble and fill with oil, then find the wee circlip when you’re tidying up.

Then, for extra magic ace-ness, assemble again, fill with oil again, then find out that you’ve nudged the eccentric out of whack.

Can’t beat doing it a few times to really get speedy at doing it 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Stewgnu,

Thanks for the info...I'll be sure to add this to the spring replacement task list when I do mine to minimize my number of redos.

Art

• Like 1

What he said...:thumbsup:

"The single biggest improvement you can make to the shift action of your V11 is to lengthen the shift lever arm and incorporate a neweye end mount hole 12mm ctr to ctr from the original upper hole." 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dowieze said:

I think I do not have to lenghten the shift lever arm. It seems already assembled on the highest position.

V11 shift.jpeg

56 minutes ago, KINDOY2 said:

What he said...:thumbsup:

"The single biggest improvement you can make to the shift action of your V11 is to lengthen the shift lever arm and incorporate a neweye end mount hole 12mm ctr to ctr from the original upper hole." 

@KINDOY2 is correct. The highest position of the factory part is the lowest position of the improved part.

Also, @dowieze, your connecting looks awfully long. Check that its length aligns the shift lever arm square to the gearbox lever arm . . .

image.png

• Thanks 1