God rest the Queen

68C

Longest reigning Monarch in the UK, and a long, full life. But from my (US-centric) point of view the whole Royal Family thing seems unnecessary and ineffectual. But as counterpoint to my own statement, I can't help but feeling the world would be a little bit better today if King Charles and Queen Diana were ascending. Imagine how much good she would have done in the last 25 years. And Diana would have ridden a Moto Guzzi. Actually, she probably would have a Triumph with a super cool flag tank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Scud said:

Longest reigning Monarch in the UK, and a long, full life. But from my (US-centric) point of view the whole Royal Family thing seems unnecessary and ineffectual. But as counterpoint to my own statement, I can't help but feeling the world would be a little bit better today if King Charles and Queen Diana were ascending. Imagine how much good she would have done in the last 25 years. And Diana would have ridden a Moto Guzzi. Actually, she probably would have a Triumph with a super cool flag tank.

I'd think there's a tradition and patriotism that Brits feel that Americans can't understand.  I know the monarchy does have its domestic critics but I'm guessing that's an apathetic minority.  Certainly the queen has been an inspiration for many, particularly the WWII generation.  She did have grace, seemed unassuming around her subjects, and had a dry sense of humor.  I think she was wise even as a princess. 

One interesting tidbit, so far as wealth, they weren't nearly as rich as many royals across the world.  I read the royalty of Thailand were many times richer. 

• Like 1