V11 Will not start

milo

My 2000 V11 has been parked since August 2016, earlier this year i tried starting it with a new battery but found the fuel pump was broken so i bought a new Pierburg pump and a new set of relays which i have just fitted. Everything appears to be working, good fuel pressure, good spark and cranks over good but there is no fuel getting injected into the throttle bodies as both are bone dry. 

Looking at the wiring diagram the fuel injector gets positive power feed from the same relay as the fuel pump so i am thinking maybe ECU fault or the injectors are gummed up. Is there a way to test the injectors or ECU signal? 

46 minutes ago, milo said:

good fuel pressure

welcome milo. how did you test pressure? disconnect fuel line and watch it squirt? replace the fuel filter if you have not yet done so. others will chime in on injectors.

• Like 1

I loosened the pipe clip on the injector, fuel started seeping out then i pushed the pipe to one side and fuel squirted out across my workshop with some force and that was just residual pressure in the pipe without the pump running. 

While replacing fuel filter, also replace the air filter. And be certain there is not a cozy chipmunk nest in the airbox. . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem is no fuel is been injected into the throttle bodies so i initially thought maybe the ECU is at fault as it would seem unlikely that both injectors would fail. It could be the timing sensor not sending the signal to the ECU to activate the injectors but then you would think it wouldn't send the signal for a spark as well or could be a TPS error. Maybe there is some other component that would stop the fuel injection but i'm just not seeing it right now. It could be that the injectors are stuck after been stood for so long. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, milo said:

No , i don't have Guzzidiag , maybe i'll look at getting it if i cannot solve the problem. 

This way you can "read" all the sensors and ECU inputs that would otherwise leave you suspicious, but uncertain . . .

Found some info for fuel injection testing so started with the two pin feed wire and found the ECU to be putting out the signal but the constant feed voltage drops from 12.5 to 4.5V  as soon as i turn on the ignition so looks like i'll be having another Guzzi electrical fault finding session. Seems strange as i last started it over three years ago with jump leads then removed the battery to use as a doorstop in my workshop so its been sat without a battery ever since, can't imagine what could have happened to the electrical system in the intervening period.

Have you load tested the battery and evaluated its various voltage states?

If it is the OEM Odyssey PC545, perhaps it can be "conditioned" . . .

Speedfrog is right, is my guess. There are a few clues here- First, you had no battery installed so it seems unlikely that anything electrical has changed. Second, your fuel pump failed; Third, your injectors are dry. I'll suggest that both the fuel pump and injectors are plugged with sludge from dried fuel and need a simple cleaning. You can test power to the injectors with a simple 'noid' light, purchased or made from a 6v light bulb and some soldered wire. 

My hillbilly shade-tree dark side says get some acetone or MEK, some long handled cotton swabs, and wash the injector tips to see if you can start any dribbling that way. In any case, after sitting that long, I'd have the injectors cleaned and replace all the fuel lines anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

This reminds me very much of what @LaGrasta has been dealing with . . .

My Rossi wouldn’t start when I first got it and gave it a wash. Ended up being the Stop/run switch wouldn’t make the start circuit up in the “run” position. I ended up buying a gently used switch from Curtis Harper. Installed & no more issues since. 

• Like 2