Much Ado about Mutton ... & More

Bill Hagan

As I threatened earlier in the South’n Spine thread saga, this post is about the latest "Mutton Run" to Daviess County in western Kentucky, and includes -- at no extra cost ;)  — (a very few) pix of a Hagan family reunion.   this evening

As longtime readers here know, for several years, I and others similarly afflicted with a love of motorcycles and willingness to eat mutton — not necessarily a common combo! — have ridden from various points to eat mutton twice a year at the St. Mary of the Woods picnic and at restaurants in Owensboro.

OK, OK, as many also know, it is possible that it is not only mutton alone that calls us, but, perhaps, beer, bourbon, and BS, all of which abound on the Mutton Runs.

Here’s the latest of these, told in (yes, too many) pix and captions, of our ride to Daviess County.  

My moto-accomplices began arriving on Tuesday, 20 September, and we returned home on Tuesday, 27 September.  My total mileage of about of 1300 miles in four riding days was hardly of the “ironbutt” sort, but not a mile was on the slab, and most on very fine backroads in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, and Kentucky.  

I rode my Griso.  What a wonderful beast and fine tourer.  Mine now has 32K miles.  With the exception of the well-known "rollerization" debacle, its only problems have been self-inflicted by me.  ::whistle: I managed to fix -- to the "good enough" standard, at least -- the stripped threads on the rear brake and the associated severed speed-sensor cable.  Neither was an issue on this trip.

Larry, who started from Ormond Beach, Fla., on his shiny new V7-850, tallied 2300+ miles.  His return home was less of the “smell the flowers” sort than his outbound leg, as Hurricane Ian smacked his hometown hard.

Bob started in Rochester, N.Y., and rode with us on is '01 EV to Maysville, then returned home via a side trip to visit an ailing friend in Columbus, O.

Larry and I rode on with a brief appearance at the Kentucky rally in Frankfort.  Fun to see Zoom Zoom and other Guzzisti there.

Then, Scott, on his really nifty MP-3, met us in Owensboro.

Kathi [:wub:] slabbed it in one day in our little Fit, carrying enough tools to do roadside depot-level maintenance.  :grin:

Back to the pix.  As I usually do, I have these on Smugmug in “collage landscape” form.  That way, they all open in collected thumbnails first.  You can then hover your cursor over the individual pix to read — if desired — the captions.  That process truncates one or two captions a bit, but most appear completely.

You can make the pix bigger and see (again, if you wish) all of captions in larger text size if you select the slideshow option.

Nutt'n But Mutton; September 2022

As a (slightly related) aside, I dropped my laptop in the hotel on this trip, resulting in the “black Screen of Death.”  Kathi gently suggested that bourbon was involved.  Possibly.   :boozing:  Anyway, as it was long out of warranty, I decided to try some self-help “surgery.”  

Friend Lannis -- who has been on several Mutton Runs -- is blessed that I didn’t perform his recent bypass op.  I watched a few y/t vids, donned gloves, used the right tools — delivered by Mr. Brown the same day! — and converted the MBP’s dead monitor into a large paperweight.  $igh.  Yes, I now have a new laptop.

Hope to see some of you on a future Mutton Run!

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3