On 9/25/2022 at 7:59 AM, Bill Hagan said:

^^^^^^^^^^^

My lawyer will be contacting you.  :P

As for current events, Kathi -- sag wagon driver and support-team supervisor :mg: -- and I are in Daviess County, Kentucky, for mutton and more.  I rode the Griso; two friends joined on other Guzzis.

A very WET first day, then a grand ride on Friday.  The big mutton event is today.  More pix on return, but here's one ...

i-PFpvfQp-L.jpg

Bill

Bill,

Stopped by Owensboro for work today, we ate at Ol Hickory BBQ. I ordered the beef brisket but Mutton was definitely on the menu. 

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5758.jpg

I hear that is THE place to go . A few years ago , "the other place" was listed as one of the Top 10 BBQ places in the United States . Boy , we were let down . When we were asking for directions , the man said "you want to go to Old Hickory" . I was on a quest and had to go to Moonlite . The Smithsonian Magazine can't be wrong . Well . I should have hung around another day to get another appetite ready .  

Around here , I (and my dog) make a daily trip to Leigh's at Future City .  Chopped , on bun and she gets the bone . BTW , the dog has to stay o/s . They also have great ribs or the best chicken but , you have to order the day before . There are a bunch of other BBQ stands (that is what they are referred to here) and have their personalized character . BBQ and sauce are personal opinion .

I'm gettin' hungry .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, gstallons said:

I hear that is THE place to go . A few years ago , "the other place" was listed as one of the Top 10 BBQ places in the United States . Boy , we were let down . When we were asking for directions , the man said "you want to go to Old Hickory" . I was on a quest and had to go to Moonlite . The Smithsonian Magazine can't be wrong . Well . I should have hung around another day to get another appetite ready .  

Around here , I (and my dog) make a daily trip to Leigh's at Future City .  Chopped , on bun and she gets the bone . BTW , the dog has to stay o/s . They also have great ribs or the best chicken but , you have to order the day before . There are a bunch of other BBQ stands (that is what they are referred to here) and have their personalized character . BBQ and sauce are personal opinion .

I'm gettin' hungry .

The politicians take photo ops at Moonlight BBQ. They also have that huge buffet, that’s hard to beat if your hungry. But the locals eat at Old Hickory, where the meat is sliced, the large portions and taste are unreal. :2c:

• Like 1

Today’s stop was Our Best restaurant in Smithfield KY. The fried chicken, beans, fried pickles, ham & black berry cobbler we’re just short of home cooked perfection. We rode over on the Chieftain, weather was about 70-74F beautiful.

07116FA8-8A5A-4A4E-96BF-45ED870B3D2D.jpeg

6F60CC6F-0EA9-41E3-A8B5-37A69365B608.jpeg

Sounds bloody good....

We're off to Yackandanda next  Friday for a long weekend to celebrate our Wedding anniversary.

The main pub in town has a smoker and does American style bbq!!!

I've wanted to try this for YEARS so I'm gunna be the first in line....

Cheers Guzzler

starting to salivate already

• Like 2
3 hours ago, gstallons said:

I'm gettin' hungry .

476002EB-BC14-4D19-9F06-28249414BB70.jpeg

Ha ha 

If I ever get to the States....

I'd like to put Oz on that map with the comment about how far did you travel for Kentucky's best bbq!!

Cheers Guzzler

Ps might just start fasting Thursday so's to REALLY enjoy Friday lunch 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am about to post about the latest "Mutton Run" in a separate thread.

But to muddle this a bit more on the whole BBQ question, I'll add these comments:

* I grew up in Daviess County (Owensboro).  For years, I felt similarly about Old Hickory, i.e., it's where the locals ate.  We all did.  That said, (most) (Catholic) church picnics were better still.  Then, last May, our mutton-eating (and beer & bourbon-drinking) moto-bubbas went to OH as usual.  I was very disappointed.  Moonlite, then and in this latest trip, even with all of its kitschy and off-putting trappings, was much better, especially in the mutton category.

* As for BBQ generally and anywhere on the planet, the critical first question is whether the meat has been parboiled before grilling.  If the answer is yes, it's amateur fare.  The second point is that if you need to slather meat with sauce, you are a sissy and the BBQ unworthy of tasting.  :grin:

* See the links: https://bbqfest.com  & https://festivalnet.com/7196/Owensboro-Kentucky/Food-Festivals/International-Bar-B-Q-Festival.  Note location.  There is a reason for that.

I knew you'd want to know all of this.  :P

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Coming from the Florida Left Coast (grouper, shrimp, pompano, black beans& rice), my first exposure to "BBQ" was in the North Carolina Piedmont. They claimed to have manifested the concept. The "pit" was out back for proof of concept. And there was "Brunswick Stew.":food:

I don't doubt the Kentucky claims to authenticity. Seems our best local Tennessee BBQ is labelled "Texas" . . . .

And asking for "sauce?" > fightin' words <  :angry:

• Like 4

Sauce . For those that have posted ,  

#1 sauce is just like women , what tears me up ,  would turn your nose up . e.g. Bette Midler over Linda Carter .

#2  do not add sauce . You eat it like it is served . 

#3 I have eaten the BEST BBQ in the back yard w/people of color . These folks are on a mission ! All day to make it , no problem . 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, gstallons said:

Sauce . For those that have posted ,  

#1 sauce is just like women , what years me up ,  would turn your nose up . e.g. Bette Midler over Linda Carter .

#2  do not add sauce . You eat it like it is served . 

#3 I have eaten the BEST BBQ in the back yard w/people of color . These folks are on a mission ! All day to make it , no problem . 

Wypipo simply will not devote the necessary time to do BBQ correctly. The best I ever had always comes from old black men with a smoky trailer in a parking lot way off the beaten track. Homestead Florida after Hurricane Andrew, and West Point, Mississippi 2007 were the high points. While on the subject of rural cooking, I'll mention the Latino ground-cooked whole pig feasts...

• Like 2

Going farther off the subject , I talked to a Texan about the wood he preferred to BBQ with and he stunned me when he said "pecan" . 

Now , when my job plays out , we are going to have to get together and "pig out" .

• Like 1