Black engine finish

Guest Squashed Nose

Guest Squashed Nose

The post Aprilia bikes have their engines finished in a black crinkle paint. After about 3000 miles I noticed that the paint around the base of the cylinders start to bubble. As time and miles have gone on, so the problem has spread to all the hot parts of the engine (the nearer the centre of the heat source the worse the problem is) and it is now cracking and flaking off. The engine, as a result, is beginning to look rather manky. Not what I want from a 7 month old bike.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Is there any way around it?

Guest ecafritz

I and many others have had the same problem with the bubbling black engine finish. My dealer in Paris, France is going to "fix" the problem under guarantee, but he says that Guzzi is still trying to figure out the best way to address the problem -- replacing the engine cases with the same finish isn't the way to go.

-- Eric

I had less than 100 miles when my finish began to chip and peel off. My dealer said it would be covered by the warranty or I could go a Harley shop and buy their black wrinkle finish touch up paint. When I asked how Guzzi would cover it under the warranty my dealer jokingly stated he would go a Harley shop and buy their black wrinkle finish touch up paint. For some reason I don’t think he was joking.

JEB

’02 Scura S396