Throttle body rubbers

Guest Squashed Nose

Guest Squashed Nose

I suffered the indignity of a mechanichal failure yesterday on the way home from work.

I was trundling along the M25 at 80 mph when I felt a 'click' in the throttle as though a cable had snapped. All seemed well so I ignored it and carried on until my exit. When I went to slow for the junction, the engine carried on racing at 3k revs.

I nursed it home and had a quick butchers, noticing that the rubbers between the throttle bodies and the heads on both sides were perishing (on a bike only 7 months old). I rang the dealer who reckoned he knew what was wrong so I nursed it another 25 miles to Aylesbury.

A few hours later they 'phoned me and told me that the problem was an air leak caused by the rubbers going rock hard and perishing and the seal had broken between the rubber and the throttle body!

Anyone else had this problem?

Guest tmartin

The rubber boots on my 2000 V11S have cracks where they bolt to the head. Looks like the rubber has dried out. I have new parts on order at MG. I have 16k on the bike so far and they have not leaked.

Guest HI-TECH-CHECK

My 02 Lemans has only 2k on and already has cracks in the rubber. This is on a bike that is garaged and rarely parked in the sun. I have already informed my dealer. Maybe MG needs to outsource these parts to another supplier. :angry:

I've seen ealier bikes (ie. Le Mans III) with Delrin boots. Anybody ever see these on a more modern Guzzi?

A couple times when starting my bike, I've had it blow back and litterally blow the throttle body right out of the boot. Embarassing! :D

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport

My 02 Scura is already beginning to develop cracks after 3000 miles. My bike is also parked in the garage. I would agree that the rubber is of a very poor quality.

Anybody could suggest what is the best to use on these rubber parts to keep them in good shape longer? Would silicon spray be good?

I've heard that silicone will cause rubber to dry out and crack, though it must be good for plastic since Hepco & Becker says this is what should be used on their topcases. I don't know if this is true, about the rubber, but I'd rather not find out the hard way--not even on the topcase. A couple of years ago I found a product called One Grand ERV that's made for preserving exterior rubber, vinyl and non-painted plastic. I've been using this on my cars and motorcyle (including the top case), but since I've had the bike only a little over 1 month I can't say how well it works there. I can say that it works great on car tires and trim. A good way to apply it is *very lightly* with a flat synthetic sponge that's made for applying car wax.

For years now I have used a product called "Protect All" on rubber and plastic parts. Great stuff. Wal mart carries it in the RV section with a pump bottle and many cycle shops carry it in spray cans (My choice.) I started using it after a great review by Rider magazine back in the mid '80s. Best product of it's kind I have ever used.

I also use Protect All on my bike (all painted areas, the windscreen, the seat), and also on my helmet. I wasn't sure if it would be as good on rubber and hard plastic as ERV, so I kept using ERV on those parts.

On my V65 I used to laminate a sheet of fiberglass to the rubber intakes, using ugly orange silicone sealant. It tended to de-laminate after a while, but atleast it kept the sun off the rubber, and it kept the hose clamps from digging in to the rubber. In retrospect, I think a neoprene cement would have bonded a lot better. But Neoprene cement may be more difficult to find.

Maybe try a diver supply store.

My boots seem to be in great condition,but,I have had my left intake blow off of the throttle body.Ran Like crap and barely got it to the shop where it was a quick fix.It seems that the throttle bodies were so out of synch that it caused back pressure.