Shift Return Spring Failure Poll

At what mileage did your shift return spring fail?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. At what mileage did your shift return spring fail?

• 1-2000 miles
    • 2-3000 miles
    • 3-4000 miles
    • 4-5000 miles
    • 5-6000 miles
    • 6-7000 miles
    • 7-8000 miles
    • 8-9000 miles
    • 9-10,000 miles
    • 10-15,000 miles
    • 15-20,000 miles
    • 20,000+ miles

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce, That's an excellent idea. Just a 'I have a broken spring' statement doesn't have a lot of info content- your suggestion will certainly add a dimension to what we can find out.

Amusingly enough, a friend of mine has his own personal electron microscope. He's a worse geek than I am. :nerd:

One other variable that I thought of was the style of shifting. Do you guys who break springs use your clutch or do you speed shift? I doubt it's really pertinant, but hey, it's a variable.

On the 5 speed question- I don't think any parts are interchangable. That spring doesn't look like anything I've ever dug out my 5 speeds.

Cheers,

Jason

**** One other variable that I thought of was the style of shifting.  Do you guys who break springs use your clutch or do you speed shift?  I doubt it's really pertinant, but hey, it's a variable. **** Cheers, Jason

Clutch.

Just a 'I have a broken spring' statement doesn't have a lot of info content

One other variable that I thought of was the style of shifting. Do you guys who break springs use your clutch or do you speed shift?

The point of gathering some basic info was

to see if the problems fell within a particular production age range (maybe there was a bad manufacturing period)

and hopefully also build up info on the spring boss sizes,

so people should keep posting – even if it is just to say, "my spring broke at X miles and my bike is a 200Y model".

Further good info would be:

• size of boss

• condition of shift plate where the spring bend locates on it

• where exactly the spring wire broke

• size of spring coil… is it free to bend round the boss without binding

• any signs of other problems in the mechanism

• If multiple breaks, at what mileages

– with oe springs?

• any breaks with aftermarket springs, if so what were the differences from oe spring and what about all the above in relation to the new spring?...

* I don't think that riding style/changing style has anything to do with it.

BTW here is the picture of my spring break as posted before, but bigger.

Best interpretation wins a prize – get yer magnifying glasses out.

5spbreak.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cliffy
:wacko: 1st spring at 800 miles and second at 3,600 !.next chance i get of looking behind the cover i will see if i can use differant spring configuration!.Any ideas out there? cheers all :bier:

21,150 miles / 33,000 km...no breakage yet.

rear wheel bearings seems to be my bugaboo.

first bearing went at 10,900 miles / 17,000 km.

second one went 10,250 miles / 16,000 km later.

• 1 month later...
Guest Roadslayer

"God" Springs,springs,springs. Doesn't anyone haven't anything else to talk about? Mine quit about 80 miles from home after a 1000 mile ride around the mountains of the Pacific Northwest,U.S.A. My dealer known as Skagit Powersports came and picked up my bike as I continued with my wifes K12RS. At that point I considered a custom made spring by people who just know springs. Yes it can be down. But the problem may not be the spring.The culprit may lie within. I've read all of the posts and am more confused than ever. My spring broke at 3700 miles if that tells anybody anything. The boss was ground down to 15 mm and if this 'shite bag' blows up again I might have to buy another cheap 'Chinese Jap Bike' just to get to work. "Cheers" Roadslayer"

Hrgravelpha talked with two spring manufacturers in the US and neither would make the springs. Largely for liability reasons as I recall.

And , as you say, there seems to be something amiss with the spring's mounting boss and perhaps other aspects of the alignment on the shift plate.