Shift Return Spring Failure Poll

At what mileage did your shift return spring fail?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. At what mileage did your shift return spring fail?

• 1-2000 miles
    • 2-3000 miles
    • 3-4000 miles
    • 4-5000 miles
    • 5-6000 miles
    • 6-7000 miles
    • 7-8000 miles
    • 8-9000 miles
    • 9-10,000 miles
    • 10-15,000 miles
    • 15-20,000 miles
    • 20,000+ miles

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$100.00 ! Wow! You are good.

Are you on the show "Psychic Shift Spring Locater" ?

p.s. I'm glad there's still some humor after a winter of oil temp. sensor and recesion responsibility arguements.

I'm in the "if it aint broke dont touch it" camp! lol all these shift spring stories are enough to make a guy paranoid. Its still better than having a new 8valve Griso with a bum engine.

It's only really special guys that have both! boo hoo -_-

oh yeah, and the single plate Scura clutch too.

Expect to hear more from me in the future.

Bang :blink:

Bang :blink:

Hey, why not having a proofen Guru bend one for you or better this forum? To get the most out of it he must make limited runs of them. 150 for the first lot. Then, a year later another and final 100 of these then already legendary bullet and nuclear bomb proof "XY-springs".

The idea behind that is that some buy a bunch of them, others buy none, and of course all the newcomers can only read of them in the archives. So you very quickly come up with a 2 classes forum society: those who are multiple equiped and those beging and crying for getting one of them.

Try it, it's fun! At least for the third group ;)

Hubert

CRAP and double crap. When you say updated spring, you mean the one with a wider circumference coil? So the bigger coil broke, even on a 15mm boss?

CRAP and double crap.

I just installed the "updated" Guzzi spring last night. I assume that's the one with the larger diameter coil? The spring that broke in my driveway yesterday was a Cannon Racecraft spring that I installed 7k miles ago. When I installed it ground down the boss on the pawl to 15mm.

Here's the broken Racecraft spring next to the new Guzzi spring:

RandomPictures_6_7_08005.jpg

Here's the pawl boss that I ground down to 15mm from 16mm (.590" = 15mm):

RandomPictures_6_7_08006.jpg

The good news is I had a great ride today and the shifting was better than ever with the Motobits kit I installed over the winter.

• 4 years later...

It seems that the "updated" spring broke on me yesterday :bbblll: .  I haven't pulled it apart to verify that it's the pawl spring but the symptoms are the same as the last two times that I went through this.  I got almost 20k miles out of this one.

From now on I'm just going to change this spring about every 10k miles so I don't get stranded.  Since I keep my bike in my basement during the winter It'll give me something to do on some winter night :luigi: .

It seems that the "updated" spring broke on me yesterday :bbblll: .  I haven't pulled it apart to verify that it's the pawl spring but the symptoms are the same as the last two times that I went through this.  I got almost 20k miles out of this one.

From now on I'm just going to change this spring about every 10k miles so I don't get stranded.  Since I keep my bike in my basement during the winter It'll give me something to do on some winter night :luigi: .

Someone on this site installed a pull-type spring to hold the pawl up against the shift drum. It looks like "the fix". If mine fails , I am going that route.

Maybe I shift too much?

Sculler2x, I've been using Redline shockproof heavy in the gearbox since I bought the bike.  It won't help the pawl spring.

Gene, I might look into that secondary or alternate spring.

Great sig line there Jaap!