Pinging and Vapor Lock

Guest Reinhold

Guest Reinhold

Hi my name is Reinhold Probst, I own Euro Cycles, a Moto Guzzi Dealership in Tampa Bay Florida.

We have spent countless ours with the V11 Sport Motor.

Some of the V11's did develop a pinging problem just as described on several post on this site.

Yes, this is a lean condition.

The problem fix is to set up the motor fuel injection correctly.

Dealers have been given conflicting instructions at least by MGNA in the past.

We finally had some MG techs from Italy at our shop and they set one of those pinging V11's up and bingo, no pingo.

MGNA has just now sent revised setup intructions to all NA dealers.

On a side note, the power commander does work much better when the motors are setup to these latest procedures.

The vapor lock problem is not solved as of yet. I personally am quite doubtfull that this actuall is a vapor lock. But I am not in charge, unfortunately.

My mechanic religiously believes in it.

One of the issues I believe contributing to this is the fact that the fuel pump times out after a few second when the motor is not actually running. I find that in some cases turning the ignition switch on and off for like four or five times has helped prime the fuel circuit and the motor runs.

I personally drive a Scura and I can't make it vapor lock no matter what. But we have a current (and very patient) customer that has the problem. So next week or so I shall know more about this.

Regards,

Reinhold

Guest John Sears

Thanks, Reinhold, for your perspective on this - it sounds like there's reason for hope, with the new setup procedure! Do you know if the updated setup would be available to owners?

Also, just wondering, do you or your mechanics have any thoughts about the intermittent "hiccup"/coughing problem, and about the sudden engine quitting when slowing or stopping after a good hard run? (both discussed in different Topics here)

Thanks very much,

John S.

'01 V11S

Just recently I tried the Guzzi "tight valve" clearenece and the Raceco "loose" back to back over about three days. With the tight, it stumbled and stalled occasionally at low rpm's. When I changed to the loose the stumble and stalling did not happen once. Even after some very fast rides to a complete stop.

But the bike still pings though, I even have cracked a spark plug insulator!!!

(The small ceramic that covers the electrode inside the engine. Luckly it was just cracked and not chipped. Ceramic plays havic with valve seats, and piston tops, and ring lands, and .....)

This was with the bike completely stock, a slight fuel pressure increase helped my pinging, but only helped. It did not change the stall/stumble though.

The bike is stock, still..... Other than a fuel pressure increase that I meantioned elsewhere.

Guest Reinhold

The vapor lock issue can be helped by insulating both the fuel pump and the fuel filter with heat shielding tape like used foe AC ducts.

Guest Reinhold

If you have a fax # I can fax the pages to you.

I guess I'll ask MGNA to forward an electronic version to me.

But without the Marelli Software ist ain't much good.

If you have a fax # I can fax the pages to you.

Hi Reinhold,

I just e-mailed my fax # to you. Please let me know if you don't get it.

Thanks,

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull

It's been my experience that the reason for the pinging is ignition timing. No matter how much fuel you dump in with the Power Commander, it still pings. I put a little race fuel in the tank, and no pinging. Fast By Ferracci is working on getting a PC IIIR (adjusts ignition timing along with mixture) or the software to remap the ECU.

Guest Guest_dlaing

It is also possible to change the timing by changing the TPS setting.

You of course would not want to do this unless you are prepared to remap the fuel.

A friend set his Jackal to something like 600 mV instead of 500 mV and got more horsepower. I think he said 2 more HP.

It would be great if we could get an output of TPS vs. ignition advance at all RPMs. I would suspect that in general more mV would create less advance, but who knows how they designed the ECU. I have heard that at about idle, the reverse is true, more mV creates more advance.

Using a HD TPS will give a different output curve, and may also prove useful for custom tuning.

Guest Squashed Nose

I use 95 octane fuel as a matter of course. I tried 98 octane to try to get rid of the pinging, to no avail. I've also gone to the lengths of trying an octane booster. Again, no change.

To be honest, it rarely rears its head now. I know how to drive around the noise which I find more embarassing than anything else.

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull
I use 95 octane fuel as a matter of course. I tried 98 octane to try to get rid of the pinging, to no avail. I've also gone to the lengths of trying an octane booster. Again, no change.

To be honest, it rarely rears its head now. I know how to drive around the noise which I find more embarassing than anything else.

Try to get your hands on some Sunoco MO2X. It feels like you increase about 10 horsepower!

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull
But does it get rid of that embarassing pinging?

No pinging whatsoever with that stuff. So far I've run it mixed with pump premium with good results. When I take it to the track next season, I'll run a full tank of it.

i have experienced vapor lock or something else in my 02 tenni .specially about 5 miles after filing up and overfilling.

i was told that overfilling will cause my bike to die when coming to a stop and then it will re-start but run for 5 seconds at no more than 2000 rpm and die and on and on.

i was told that overfilling causes this problem.

Guest voigtstr

My Le Mans pings if snap the throttle open. The other day the right hand cylinder was pinging and backfiring, and blew the rubber boot away from the throttle body and tighter up against the cylinder. The dealer sent a mechanic out to help me since the screws for the boot werent accessable on the angle they were on (mechanic had a nice snapon brand socket set to do the trick)

My right hand cylinder always seems to run hotter than the left. Is this a vacuum balancing thing, or some adjustment in the throttle body that is causing this, I assume the right cyclinder is running leaner which generate the heat and that leaness combined with extra heat is contributing to pinging.

What does my dealer need to do to get both cyclinders running cool and with (I assume) a richer fuel mix?