Pinging and Vapor Lock

Guest Reinhold

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull
Reinhold what equipment do the dealers need to tune the ignition timing?

Can they change the static map on the ECU?

They need special software from Marelli to change the map of the ECU or Dynojet needs to develope a Power Commander IIIR to change ingnition timing.

Guest Reinhold
Reinhold what equipment do the dealers need to tune the ignition timing?

Can they change the static map on the ECU?

They need special software from Marelli to change the map of the ECU or Dynojet needs to develope a Power Commander IIIR to change ingnition timing.

The Weber Marelli ECU can not be programmed by dealers at this time.

All one can do with the Marelli Software is check system status, error codes and so on.

The only programmable setting possible is for idle fuel mixture.

That software is to be considered a diagnostic tool only.

Guest voigtstr

Thank you for the information Reinhold.

Do my dealers just need to fiddle with the throttle bodies?

Why would the right hand side run hotter than the left.

How do they change the bike from running lean (if that is what is causing the pinging and heat) to running correctly (or even slightly rich?)

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

I have had my throttle bodies balanced, TPS (potentiometer) adjusted, and fuel mixture tuned by the dealer using the Marelli software and a gas analyzer, but I still get pinging which seems to come from the right cylinder.

At this point, I'm sort of inclined to go with Victor's theory that it is a timing issue. I'm convinced that every single bike that rolls off Guzzi's assembly line is slightly different in one way or another. The timing probably varies quite a bit from bike to bike. Just a hunch.

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport

Guest Reinhold
Just recently I tried the Guzzi "tight valve" clearenece and the Raceco "loose" back to back over about three days. With the tight, it stumbled and stalled occasionally at low rpm's. When I changed to the loose the stumble and stalling did not happen once. Even after some very fast rides to a complete stop.

But the bike still pings though, I even have cracked a spark plug insulator!!!

(The small ceramic that covers the electrode inside the engine. Luckly it was just cracked and not chipped. Ceramic plays havic with valve seats, and piston tops, and ring lands, and .....)

This was with the bike completely stock, a slight fuel pressure increase helped my pinging, but only helped. It did not change the stall/stumble though.

The bike is stock, still..... Other than a fuel pressure increase that I meantioned elsewhere.

There is no such thing as a tight valve clearance specs for the V11 Sport Motors.

This was the case on the Cruiser Motors.

Intake 0.10 mm Exhaust 0.15mm

Guest voigtstr

Well its bad enough that if its a hot day I would consider not riding the bike now... if its running hot because of running lean, on a hot a day if I take the bike for a run and then try to start it again after its been sitting for a few minutes, it wont maintain idle, revving the bike will just cause backfiring and stuttering (and even more heat)

So if its running lean, what do they need to change?

So if its running lean, what do they need to change?

Well, two things I can think of offhand are the bypass screws on the throttle body, or the trim on the ECU. To adjust the trim, they need a computer with the Marelli software.

The previous (16M) ECU that was used on the Sport 1100i had a trim adjustment screw on the computer itself. With the 15M computer, you need software to do it.

__Jason

00 M900Dark

00 V11 Sport

Guest voigtstr

I'm guessing the idle mixture settings only effects the fuel/air mix when the throttle postion sensor is at zero?

So does that leave the "bypass screws" (whatever they are) to change the fuel mix (across the whole map)?

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull
All one can do with the Marelli Software is check system status, error codes and so on.

The only programmable setting possible is for idle fuel mixture.

That software is to be considered a diagnostic tool only.

I am aware of the MDST that is currently available. Fast By Ferracci is in the process of obtaining software to remap the Marelli 1.5 ECU completely including the ignition curve.

Reinhold-

I was refering to valve clearence specs mentioned in another forum. Here is a quote from the Raceco site.

"Tappet clearances for the Guzzi big twins should be set to 0.20mm for the inlet and 0.25mm for the exhaust. This also applies to the "modern" Guzzis such as the Sport 1100, Cali 1100i and V11. The factory settings for these bikes are 0.10mm and 0.15mm respectively, but this is to try and reduce engine noise to meet US emissions regulations. With tappets set this tight the engines have trouble ticking over and running cleanly at low revs."

I wasn't trying to imply that Guzzi had two different values.

:P

I am aware of the MDST that is currently available.  Fast By Ferracci is in the process of obtaining software to remap the Marelli 1.5 ECU completely including the ignition curve.

Victor, be sure to keep me posted on what you find out. I'm planning on having some significant work done on my bike this winter, and I will definitely be in need of someone to remap things - especially the timing. It would be fantastic if FBF had the ability to do that for me. TIA.

The FIM Ultimap can adjust fuel, ignition, and rev limit.

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/

From what I understand the Marelli software adjusts the idle setting fuel mixture, which effects the entire map, but only the most closed positions of throttle is the difference significant. At wide open throttle, the difference might be like a fifth of tequilla in your city's resevoir, nobody is gonna get a buz off of it.

Also, from what I understand, if the idle is set too rich, a definite symptom will be rough running or stalling when the engine is hot, if it is too lean, the rpms may get too high at idle when the engine is hot. I am not positive about that, so correct me if I am wrong.

The PowerCommander for Guzzi's does not yet directly support ignition advance, but you can trick it, by messing with the TPS. Changing the timing is not necessary because adding fuel with the powercommander will cure the pinging. However you may get a more ideal setup by changing the timing.