Engine oil use

Janusz

My V11S uses (burns I assume, there is no leak anywhere) some oil from day one and does not seem to stop even now at 18,000 km. It is not much, maybe 1/2 liter every 4,000 km (one quart every 4.500 miles).

Is that something to be concerned with? Do your engines use any oil?

Mine uses about 1/2 a quart between changes every 3000 miles. My old Guzzi's never used more than a pint between changes. I attribute it to the fact that I run the crap outta this Goose (Pun intended! :blink: ) like none other before it. It regularly see's yellow line as a shift point and I cruise it in the 5's where I cruised the older engines in the 4's. Run that hard, an engine is bound to use some oil. If your plugs are Ok and there's no leaks and you're riding as I do, that usage isn't unreasonable.

I know a number of owners of new BMW's who report usage of a quart every 2-3K miles! But that is considered normal by the manufacturer!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys? Haven't heard of any gals yet ...

what grade of oil is being used? Temperatures here in NL are at about 7C nowadays, and the previous owner put in 20W40 (or rather, his dealer did).

This seems a bit thick to me, something thinner may be appropriate. I'd think of using 10W40 or 5W40. Any advice? And are you using full synt, half synt or mineral? And should I use motorcycle oils or can I use a decent car-oil instead?

So many questions ....

I use the Agip 4T also, but I do have to add oil now and again. I never really measured the rate that loses it though. It doesn't seem to burn it. I think it has something to do with how I routed the breather hose after I removed my airbox. I just strapped it to the front left part of the frame, and I think the wind *might* be sucking oil out of the breather, as I do find some oil coating the motor in that area. Doesn't bother me... just gives me a good reason to wash the bike every so often. :D