Safety Lights

Guest Tenni#099

Guest Tenni#099

I have very good experience with the products from safetylights Safetylights webpage

I attach a photo to show the difference. I use both the safety turn signals as well as the safety head light. The safety head light creates a short cut between the stand light and the high beam. It allows the high beam to shine at 25%, which is not blinding, but produces the same size of beam, which is much broader and more importantly higher than dipped light. The safety turn signals allow the turn signals to shine dimmed while driving. When you brake there are a few short flashed signaling to the other traffic that you brake also for vehicles in front of you.

I was a sceptic when I bought the system, but since I'm using it I enjoy better visibility and feel more safe. I don't think the red Le Mans will need it, but the Tenni's and the black ones could benefit from this.

Gerco

post-5-1036871499_thumb.jpg

Guest Squashed Nose

The colour of your bike, the colour of your clothing and the brightness of your lights will not benefit you in the slightest.

In '89 I was riding a Yamaha RD350 YPVS at a sedate speed, the bike was Gauloises blue and yellow, my lights were on, I wore a light blue jacket, dayglo belt and red helmet. Despite all this, I was still T-boned by some myopic moron in a hire car. I spent the next six months convalescing and another six on crutches.

If they are not looking, they will NOT see you! Following this accident I always ride secure in the knowledge that I am completely invisible to all other road users and adjust my style accordingly.

Guest Tenni#099

I can't agree more. I just want to do something about it. I assisted a severely wouded biker two weeks ago, who also was completely overseen by an old man in a car. It made my stomach go around and I haven't driven for a week after that.

What a nice world it would be without cars, trucks and tractors....

Gerco

I have to agree with these guys on this. I have 23 years street riding experience and two legs full of metal hardware to prove they're correct. Only God can make the blind see. Aggressive defensive riding is the best tactic. Always assume the cage will do the stupidist thing possible to try and kill you and have a escape route/plan ready to use at all times. This mental game can save your life.

I've got a similar product from Kisan as well:

Kisan Technologies

I've got their SignalMinder which turns the signals into running lights, and also is an automatic signal canceller. And I've got their headlight modulator.

I agree that regardless of flashing lights, garish colors, etc... if a driver isn't keeping an eye out for a bike, it's a moot point.

But I will say that every bit helps, and I know that my headlight modulator get's people's attention, as I've had several people comment on how much they hate it! :rolleyes:

al

Hi,

o co-worker of mine once oversaw a 10-ton truck, when he was coming from a parking lot. The front of his car was gone. As long as drivers overlook a large lorry, they're sure to overlook bikes as well.

That said, anything done to improve your visibility increases the chances that some car drivers will note you, thereby reducing your risk. Also when the biker does something less intelligent. 'Cos were not infallible either.

So I have a red bike, a red hat, yellow mainbeam, running lights and try to play te mental game. It all helps, sometimes not enough (ever come around a bend and have 2 VW Golfs side by side racing towards you? I have, unfortunately).

Al, which model of Kisan's Signal Minder did you get? How were the installation instructions for wiring in the signals as running lights?

Guest Squashed Nose

On the subject of safety lights, has anybody fitted the halogen bulbs which glow blue?

They appear to give increased brightness, penetration and spread without resorting to a higher wattage. I do like to stay within the law and here in the UK we are restricted to a 60 watt main beam with a 55 watt dip.

Answers on a postcard please........

Dear Squashed Nose,

How are you? The weather here is beautiful.

Oh, so you want to LEGALLY irritate people. :o Personally, I think the amber lighted ones are much less offensive, separate your bike from the pack, and are available in a 55/65 that is brighter than standard. But, no I have not tried it yet. I kind of like a light so dim that few flash me if I leave the high beam on.

Sincerely yours,

David Laing

PS Why are you named Squashed Nose, do you have any pictures :P

w4412.jpg

Guest Squashed Nose

I am a freelance photographer and have thousands of pictures.

None of them are of me. I absolutely detest having my picture taken. This is one of the reasons I became a photographer in the first place.

I am named Squashed Nose because, and I know this may sound strange, my nose is squashed.

I just added a Kisan SM2 to my 97 California. They're not cheap at about $100, so the V11TT and Sport 1100i will have to wait their turns. The California got it first because it's better in the fog because of the head position with the heated snowmobile helmet. But I digress. The Kisan is just about the simplest installation I've ever seen for a bike. Plug it in to the flasher socket (I had to swap leads on the California), install the enclosed splice blocks onto the brake light wire and one each on the left and right turn signal wires, plug in the harness, test it, close up and you're ready to roll. It took a half-hour on the California and would probably take a similar amount on the V11 depending upon whether the seat cowling has to be removed. I don't know, I haven't looked.

The running light mode makes for very dim running lights, but sufficient to be seen in the dark. On my Sport 1100i, I have 3 watt bulbs poking through the reflector and they are much brighter than the Kisan unit, so I would guess that the running light mode is roughly equivalent to a 1 watt output. Self cancelling turn signal feature is nice as well.

Guest Squashed Nose

Over the last couple of days the fog here has been horrific. I wondered if anyone has fitted fog lights to their bikes? I wouldn't want extra lights, just more functions from the existing ones.

I'm always worried that some moron will punt me off from the rear because my rear light isn't bright enough.