Stuck shifter

BarkinB

First, a big HI to everyone, this is my first post here! :sun:

(sorry if this is a well known and repeated thing)

I just today found someone else describe this problem in a review of a test ride he did on the V11 LeMans, so it reminded me to ask my fellow riders... :)

It seems to happen only when downshifting from sixth or fifth at speeds over 40MPH. I pull in the clutch to downshift, and when pressing the shift lever down it just sticks in the down position, and refuses to budge, even if I try real hard to pry it back up.:wacko: Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes I can downshift a gear or two first. The only solution I've found is to quickly partially engage and disengage the clutch... sort of give the transmission a 'smack' with the clutch... then the shifter seems to be moveable again. :huh:

I have had it happen in 4th, 3rd, and 2nd gear. I've had rides over 100 miles where it never happened once, and I've had rides of 12 miles where it happened 4 times. :blink:

The dealer (Speed's Cycle in Elkridge MD, USA) couldn't duplicate the problem, which wasn't surprising.<_>

So, any ideas?

Cheers! :bier:

Heh. That's my review you're talkin' about! :P

For what it's worth, on that test ride, the stuck shifter only happened once, and once I was going again, it was able to move again. I suspect bumping it with the clutch might have worked, but it didn't occur to me as traffic was starting to move again.

On the bike that I now own (a different unit from the one I test drove) I've never had this problem, and one of the first things I did was to adjust the lever further up than it had been from the factory. No idea if that could have affected the shifter getting stuck, but it's a point to consider.

It might be nothing more than shifting technique. On the old Guzzi transmission, which is a drum type, you can leave some pressure on the shift lever between gears. On the rotary type of the V11S, it has to return to it's neutral position before accessing the next gear. Makes for interesting riding when switching from one type of bike to another.

I'll certainly re-examine my shifting technique, although I kind of doubt that's what's causing it, since I shift pretty much the same way all the time, so why is it such a random thing?

Regarding the adjusting the lever higher, I may try that soon, and will advise if it helps or not.

Thanks, everyone! :bier:

I'm having the same problem but have not pursued a fix yet. Please post any attempted repairs and/or fixes.

Thanks!

Hey Buck,

Does your wife let you buy a new bike every year? :bier: I thought I was bad :unsure: How much do you ride the Beemers since you bought the Lemans? I sold my 97 F650 because I wasn't riding much and the next week the 2000 Green V11Sport was in my garage. I rode the V11S for a year and then came to the conclusion that I didn't need the R1100RSL anymore and sold that too.

Mike

Hey Buck,

Does your wife let you buy a new bike every year?

Um, I'm not married B)

Actually I bought the '72 R60 and the Guzzi within 6 weeks of each other. My girlfriend lost her mind and fought with me for 2 days over the R60. 6 weeks later when I came home and told her I wanted the Lemans she didn't fight at all. I asked her what was up and she said "I've just found it's easier this way". It took a long time for me to get her trained, but I think we're there :D

I haven't ridden the F650 very much since I got the Lemans. That's ok, I really got it for her anyway, and she rides it some. It's also a great bike to keep around for those times when the oil companies decide they aren't making enough money and jack the gas prices up over 2 bucks a gallon. As for the RT I still ride it quite a bit. I've put about 2500 miles on it in the last 2 & 1/2 months, and about 2200 on the Lemans in the same time period. Weather permitting the Lemans is my first choice. If it's raining, below 40 degrees, and/or the trip is longer than 250 miles the RT wins without question.

As for the R60, it's a restoration project. I'll be tearing the engine down shortly!

Guest PainterX

Had this happen with my V11. It got progressively worse. Related to defective tranny shifter return spring. Took 7 weeks to get part. Don't wait until it gets bad you might end up stranded, stuck in neutral. At least get your dealer aware of the problem and get the parts ordered. My "fixed" shifter stuck once the first week I had it back. Since then I downshift with a very gentle touch and have had no more events.

Matt