Dirty calipers

Guest Squashed Nose

Guest Squashed Nose

I like to keep my bike nice and clean. I have all sorts of implements, shampoos, polishes and cans of this and that which I have collected over the years.

However, no matter what I try, I cannot remove the accumulated brake dust from my gold front calipers. They are beginning to look almost as bad as the bubbling engine casings.

Any ideas?

Try P21S (Gel) and a firm toothbrush, I've always had good luck with P21S. P21S is gentle but is very effective. It worked on the brake calipers on my Ducati, Porsche 944S2, Audi A4 and my Guzzi. I'm kind of freaky about keeping the entire vehicle clean, even the calipers.

I’m sure it’s available in the U.K. The label it says it’s “A Smartparts Product” and it is imported from Germany to the States. This is the same company that makes the S100 motorcycle wash and the P21S Total Wash (it does a great job cleaning the engine on a car). I’ve been using the entire P21 product line for about 15 years, so I can’t imagine you can’t get it U.K. Try P21S as a search on the Internet. If you can’t find anything, email or message me and maybe I can ship you some.

J.Bee :bier:

S 100 Cycle Cleaner is a super detergeant made in germany that I have used for over ten years. Neutral pH. Hasn't harmed anything yet. Melts brake dust way with a wipe from a wet sponge! I use a couple liters a year keeping my Guzzi and my wife's Chrysler Sebring shining with it! (That car's mag wheels really collect brake dust!)

Yep. S100 is real good stuff. I just spray it on and blast it off with a pressure washer (no, I don't blast the bearing areas). I don't know if the pressure washer contributed to the rear caliper failure I suffered on my Sport 1100i at 54,400 miles, but, at least it was clean when it died...

Geezers??? Hey, I'm old enough to be your brother!!! Seriously though, I am sorry to hear that you're having so many problems with your V11 LeMans. They do seem to have their own specific failures. The only thing that has failed in the first 7000 miles on my 2001 V11TT is the right side oil cooler bracket. Another typical failure for the earlier models, but nowhere near as dire as the transmission spring failure.

• 3 months later...
May sound simple and stupid but cheap toothpaste will do.

What about a solution of bicarbonate (Arm&Hammer baking soda) and and bon-ami? Toothpaste is mostly bicarb and abrasives anyhow.

Related Q- where does one buy S 100 cycle cleaner in the states? bike shops?

I don't really keep my bikes all that clean, but I like to know that I could... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jason