What type of Oil is in your bike?

Guest SteveT

I just bought a 02 Lemans. In the owners manual was a card indicating the factory oil is AGIP Racing 4T 20W-50 (full synthetic). The transmission & rear end have AGIP Gear Synth 75W/90 (semi synthetic).

Anyone running full synthetic in the transmission & rear drive?

SteveT

02 Red/Grey

69 V700

I've been using the BMW motorcycle transmission synthetic lube for all three of my 1100cc Guzzis. I add a fair dollop of engine assembly lube as well (no moly available locally) to both the rear box and the transmission. I also use teflon tape to seal the drain and sight plugs and safety wire them as well (on the rear box) because the synthetic lube is so damn slippery that I've had them depart the bike.

Guest Squashed Nose

I've been considering using a friction reducer such as Slick 50 or Activ8 in the engine, transmission and final drive. Has anybody used these and, if so, what benefits are there?

I used Activ8 in my ZX9R and it made the clutch slip! Of course, with the Guzzi having a dry clutch this would not be an issue.

Whilst on the subject of oil, I was also considering using one of the magnetic thingies which screws between the sump and oil filter. Is there room to fit one? It appears to be a very tight squeeze.

Hello there,

I think you already have a magentic sump stud which will take care of any metal in your oil.

To the best of my knowledge most modern oils are excellent lubricants without further additives. The best advice is to change oil regularly especially if you do short rides only.

I have used semi-synthetic oils in various engines for the past five years and have had no oil related problems.

Regards,

John in Kerry :P

Hey-o

I use full synthetics (Mobil one, cause it's available). At 10K miles (just a few more), I'll probably start adding in the moly as well.

Don't bother with slick50 or it's variants. IIRC, they're embroiled in lawsuits over false claims. Today's oil is plenty slick already- witness Carl's statements above.

Actually, I wrap all my plugs with teflon too, although I don't go so far as to safety wire them (good on ya' Carl). It has caused me some concern, because I would hate the little strings of teflon to get caught in an oil port and clog it. Doh! Happened to my brother's Datsun PU, when he rebuilt it. So I CAREFULLY wrap the plugs and whatnot.

Cheers,

Jason

Guest HI-TECH-CHECK

I use "dino" 20w50 in the engine and Castrol synthetic in the gearbox and trans. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the SLICK 50. It uses PFTE(teflon TM) as the active ingredient. It is a suspended solid which tends to collect at inlets (oil passages) and acts as a blockage. It also collects in the oil filter and can clog it up resulting in a decrease oil pressure in your engine. For the full report see http:///www.bmwscruz.com/tech/tech003.html

It will really open your eyes and close you mind to additives. :o

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull

I've been using AGIP 4t in the engine and Spectro full synthetic gear lube in the tranny and the rear. I have a bottle of AGIP Rotra at home that I'm going to try at 12,000 miles.

Guest vkerrigan

In my 02 LeMans, I've been using Redline 15-50 full synthetic in the engine

and Redline's Shockproof Heavy full synthetic in the transmission and rear

drive. The transmission shifted easier immediately upon changeout to

the Shockproof Heavy. I'm sure other full synthetics lubricate effectively as well, but its like most things..............personal preference..........VK