Swing arm pins

docc

Well, no more head shake. It appears there were a couple contributors. First my tires had worn to the swingarm setting and when it was moved the tires had to wear in to the new alignment. New tires solved that.

But this whole " put it back where you found it" procedure is befuddling. Why isn't there a definitive procedure for setting the swingarm? I still say it may be that each bike is set up from the factory to track within a certain tolerance.

Using the lazer to align the front with the back I moved the swingarm over until the alignment was within 1 mm ( 0.039") then relieved the bearings by about 0.001" per side ( about 1/8 turn).

Also, at a recent visit to the MG shop I found that the last two V11s dismantled for gearbox recall had the swingarm pins set asymmetrically.

I'm curious as to how you decided what was straight. The rear tire is wider than the front. Did you use the rear tire as a straight-edge, and measure the offset of the front tire on both sides? Or did you run a center-line?

Jason

So Docc, Have you been snooping around my lift when I'm not there? :ninja:

I have some measurments for ya but you've gone detective on me.

The pins will go in farther than the bearing is wide. Once someone sees how all of this is put together, it makes you wonder how the rear end of the bike stays together. :huh2:

Pretty amazing that Guido came up with this :blink: Seems like it would flex and bend :( ...just flat out not work...Oh well :whistle:

Cheers andy

>

Jason, I sat the builders level on a stack of CD cases and pressed it against the rear tire shooting the lazer line along the front tire. I then held a steel rule to the edge of the front tire and read off the lazer in mm.

At first I was marking the floor and using squares to get the measurement but this way was far more accurate.

With the swingarm centered the front was off 3.5mm. Not bad , as Computrack told me they allow for 3mm. But adjusting the swingarm put it to 1 mm.

• 15 years later...

Have my swing arm off for some maintenance ( s/arm bearings are good, phew 😅). When refitting do you add threadlock or just lubricate the threads and tighten the locknuts. Would hate to damage the fine thread used. Can’t find any mention in the manual.

cheers

Gary

There is a lock nut, Gary, so no need to threadlock, just lubricate to protect from corrosion down there (maybe a light coat of water proof grease).

There is a thread  much later than this where it was determined the pins can probably be set the same, bottomed lightly, and turned back slightly to allow a tiny freeplay on the bearings.