• 30 mpg (7.8 l/100km)
    • 33 mpg (7.1 l/100km)
    • 35 mpg (6.7 l/100km)
    • 38 mpg (6.2 l/100km)
    • 40 mpg (5.8 l/100km)
    • 42 mpg (5.6 l/100km)
    • 44 mpg (5.3 l/100km)
    • 45 mpg (5.2 l/100km)

Note that the liter per 100 km conversions are approximate.

This seems to be a topic of great interest, figured I'd try out the "poll" feature of our new board.

...ah, so this poll will serve a "dual purpose" then :lol:

But honestly, to me the bigger question is still total range... till dry. After all, that's what will keep me worried on a long ride :( We should have a poll on that later as well.

al

Ian, excellent idea! And the conversion from mpg to l/100km is also very helpful. Last time I converted to mpg took me quite a lot of time figuring out. :wacko:

To make it even more complicated: In Holland we use 1l. : x km's

So f.i. 6,5l./100 km = 1:15,38

I'm glad to see that up to know I get the best mileage... :rolleyes:

I guess Jimjib didn't vote yet. Het got a stunning 43 mpg!

Heh. I sometimes look at BMW's model listings for old models, and one of the things they list is fuel economy, but it's always expressed in litres per 100km. This doesn't help me much, coming from the MPG frame of reference, so I sat down one day and wrote a little perl script that did the conversion for me.

It's really simple:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $litres = $ARGV[0];
my $gallons = $litres * 1.609;
my $mpg = 378 / $gallons;
my $human_mpg = sprintf("%.3f", $mpg);
print "$litres l / 100 km -> $human_mpg mi/galn";

The opposite function, going from MPG to l/100km, looks like this:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $mpg = $ARGV[0];
my $km = $mpg * 1.609;
my $lpk = 378.5 / $km;
my $human_lpk = sprintf("%.3f", $lpk);
print "$mpg mi / gal -> $human_lpk l / 100 kmn";

If someone who was cleverer than me at Java wanted to, it'd be easy to convert those little programs into a web page (or I might post them as CGI scripts on my homepage).

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

I apologize if anyone was offended by my post. I realize this is a Technical Forum and people are interested in their bike's performance.

I just spouted off with a meaningless opinion.

Again, I apologize if anyone took offense. ;)

Orson, don't worry, nobody get's flamed, banned, whipped or otherwise physically punished for telling what they think of a certain topic. However, if you are in the desert somewhere and the next gas station is 150 miles away you are happy if you now for sure you will reach it.

But as far as your "offensive" statement is concerned; I think you are right. Riding and enjoying it is of course the most important. (Hey...for me it's easy to say this... in Holland there is a gas station every 20 miles :P )

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IanJ

Interesting results. I'm surprised there's not at least one "45 mpg" vote, since I've seen several people mention getting really good mileage in a few posts...

I think that our engine is very sensitive to the way how aggresively is driven, how high is revved and most importantly how cold or hot the ambient temperature is.

Since I live in the high mountains and if it is not raining or icy will ride in any temperature and most of the time in a "sport" mode my gas mileage is quite low. The engine and injection are tuned perfectly I think and runs like a swiss watch.

I am also amazed how it constantly improves with mileage (now at 10,000 km +). I wonder when this process will end.

Guest marcialc

obviously this poll can be skewed based on the "newness" of the engine. MPG should increase as the pistons "wear" in and the engine becomes more efficient. <_<

It would be interesting to see the mileage on the bike along with the MPG results.

my scura with about 800 miles is getting about 30 MPG. :blink::huh: ...and hopefully it will increase :D