Anyone dual-plug a V11?

jtucker

Well I'm back from the ether...

I've been ashamed to show my face around here for a long time, since my Guzzi project has taken an embarrassingly long time to complete. Remember when I started this thread... back in November 2002? Well... I can finally say I got the bike back on the road this past weekend!

P4190008.JPG

During this time, I've moved, switched jobs, and got married. I still have my Ducati Monster, and have also picked up a MZ Skorpion (for my wife, but I love riding it too!). So, I've had plenty to keep me occupied while the Guzzi was hanging in limbo.

So, what was done in that time:

• Damaged head from 2002 crash was refinished (3 times before it finally was right)
  • Same cylinder head was "lost" for a period by the shop doing the refinishing work
  • Recall work on gearbox was performed
  • Carrillo rods
  • Balanced bottom-end
  • Mike Rich 10.25:1 pistons
  • Mike Rich port & flow
  • Megacycle 620x10 cam
  • Mike Rich Ti pushrods
  • New (sunk) valves and springs from Mike Rich
  • Raceco aluminum timing gears (I know... and I don't want to hear it!) :lol:
  • Power Commander w/ custom map from Mike Rich
  • New gas tank to replace one damaged in crash
  • Electronic petcock replaced w/ manual unit
  • New Magni fairing to replace one destroyed in crash

I think that's it.

All the assembly work was done by Roland @ The Spare Parts Company in Philadelphia.

Now I've got to break in the new motor again, but so far she's running like a dream!

Still on the to-do list: get a deep-V sump. When the crank was removed, it needed to be honed - it looked like it suffered from oil starvation, which I attribute to poor design of the stock oil sump.

Words can't describe how happy I am to be back on this bike. Getting back in the saddle "feels like home." :bike:

__Jason

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically, the one thing I didn't do was dual-plug the heads, which was the subject of this thread in the first place... :lol:

__Jason

Looks terrific Jason. I really like the look of the Magni fairing, even better than the factory LeMans.

In a 1930s, Buck Rogers-esque fashion maybe, I'll grant that. In my eyes? It looks good, but it's still several ticks below the v11LM, which is just lovely, but is itself a notch down from the 1100 Sport/Daytona (which is still the prettiest bike ever, to me! :) ]

But nevertheless, definitely a looker! :thumbsup:

Thanks all!

Yeah, I've always preferred the lines of the Magni fairing over the stock V11LM fairing. I guess I'm a fan of that "Buck Rogers" look. :D

I also like the lower clip-ons of the Magni kit.

I've still got my old Magni that was busted up in my crash. I've mocked it up against my Ducati M900, and am in love with that look too. If I can figure out how to accommodate the Magni subframe on the Ducati, I might just do it. That will be a project for a rainy day - or many rainy days, most likely.

Here's the photoshop hack of the Ducati/Magni...

m900_side_magni2.jpg

__Jason

Welcome back Jason... and V11 B)

I was just wondering about you the other day when I was posting something and referenced an old thread.

I guess this might be the year of "come backs"(you and I) :D

Hopefully I'll have mine back on the road(no crash, just stored) very soon. The garage is almost finished, so then I can get to the bike.

Al

Hi Al -

Yeah... I was wondering about your bike too. Looks like you made a big move in the interim, huh? To one of my favorite states to go riding in, no less. :D

__Jason

Still on the to-do list: get a deep-V sump. When the crank was removed, it needed to be honed - it looked like it suffered from oil starvation, which I attribute to poor design of the stock oil sump.

__Jason

Hi Jason

May I suggest a Roper plate that I use and thoroughly recommend, as many will agree on this forum also.and a lot cheeper than a Deep-V sump.

• 3 years later...

I think that dual plugging will really benifit the Guzzi. I had thought of putting in an ignition amp. or a CD unit to lengthen the duration and voltage of the spark. I am toying with the idea of going through the motor and having the flywheel lighted, crank knife edged, carrello rods, balance, high compression pistons, and having the heads ported. Or I could just buy and 2003 Lemans?

I wish I had an unlimited bank account :doh:

Mike Stewart

ive dual plugged two guzzis,a low comp g5 and a 992 endurance lemans the jetting went down from 60 to 50 pilot and 140 to 130 mains at the same time the the ign advace was retarded to 28 deg full advance from 32 deg, static it was 13 deg the bike had much better throttle response and power delivery was smoother,u dont have to change the ignition timimg table but it smooths the whole thing out,it is worth it, the bike runs cooler,and will rev better the 992 revved to 8800 rpm ! in fact the performance of the le mans wasnt far off the v11 i now own,dont be shy its no gimmik

mike

Don't know anything about twin-plugging the v11, but I did twin-plug my old T3 - which was a huge improvement. Felt better throughout the rev range, and cured an ongoing pre-ignition problem I was having. So I'd certainly be interested in any experiences twin-plugging a V11.