Anyone dual-plug a V11?

jtucker

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link to some great info :thumbsup:

....although it sounds a bit more convoluted/complicated than it has to be?? I'll probably drop him a line to find out more regarding his reasoning and experiences though. There may be some catch-22's that Jason and I aren't yet aware of.

Obviously there will be some modifications and adjustments required, as that's just the nature of the beast. But I'd ideally like to find a more seamless installation than requiring extra relays, etc.

BTW, I wonder if his Bassa uses the same ECU, coils, etc... that we have on our V11 Sport/LeMans? Anyone know? That might matter....

Jason, you learn anything new from your mechanic lately? There's not much I can research or test until I get my bike back, and that will be 4-6 weeks or more from now.

thx again!

al

P.S.

I sent John a lengthy email and cc'd Jason. I also invited him to contribute to this thread. It would be great to get his "lessons learned" from his experience dual-plugging the Bassa.

Al, the only news that my mechanic has about the heads is that Mike is currently up to his eyeballs with Daytona work, so probably won't be able to get to them for a while. :doh:

That's OK for me though, because I still have plenty of other work to do in the meantime...

BTW, my aluminum timing gears just showed up from Raceco the other day! :grin:

In my email to John regarding his post on Guzzitech, I had asked about:

- Why he chose the 1.5 Ohm coils versus matching the OEM .7 Ohm coils?

- If he knew if all the FIM software could adjust timing, as my dealer didn't think so.

- Why he decided to use a "relatively complicated" solution of relays...

- ...any other "lessons learned"

The following is his reply:

Hi Al,I'm responding to some of the questions about the coils for the dual plugging.The reason I went with the DC2-1,1.5 ohm coils was on Dyna's tech rep's advice.He said it would be more reliable than the .7 ohm coils. After thinking on it I guess that would be right,from the way I understand it coils with less primary resistance generate more heat and probly a hotter spark but dont live as long a life.I used the relays because I didnt want to run any excess current thru the ECU and I wanted the coils to get as much as they could use,thinking that if I powered them thru the ecu there would be a voltage drop.So the ecu just powers the "switch" side of the relay wich shouldnt place any load on the ecu.I used two relays just to keep each side seperate and to have a built in spare if one died,I could run both coils off one relay.To wire them into the connecters I used  connecters that are for under a screw and cut one leg off and filed the one that was left to fit snugly into the factory connecter.I did that for all the connections so I still have the original,unmodified connecters in case I put it back to original.I havn't had any trouble with this setup and would do it again the same way.I'm not sure why they said the FIM Ultimap timing is not adjustable,maybe it isnt with the ecu that is on Lemans? I have a 15M on mine and it is.Check http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/  .Thanks for the link to the V11 Lemans forum and if I can be of help please dont hesitate to ask! Doug Lofgren is a good source also http://www.visi.com/~moperfserv/  regards,John

Guest gdockray

Got the twin plug set-up functioning in the glorified 850T (perhaps a 950T now)with the installation of dual-output Dyna coils. As a starting point I bumped the timing back to 30 deg at full advance from stock 34. At just a bit + freezing temps here in Vancouver there is not much time between hot coffee stops, but the results seem to be at least a bit encouraging. Seat 'o the pants indicates that it may in fact be a little smoother at least around town and short freeway bursts. Hard to tell if there is anything like a wider power band (not that it was really needing THAT even w/ the 36mm carbs).

The actual test will be on a warm day in summer, cracking the throttle with 92 octane fuel as well as the fuel mileage test. (pretty consistant at 45 MP(US)G while spanking the hell out of it chasing Alan Berry on his V11 Sport up the Mt Baker Road.

Here is a picture:

http://www3.telus.net/gdockray/my_t/with_t...twin_plugs4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry... nothing new to report here, Al. I haven't spoken to my mechanic about the bike in a while. I'll probably try to stop by there this week. Last news I heard from them is that my Carrillos arrived, and they were still waiting for my right head to return from the shop that was repairing the cosmetic damage that I inflicted upon it. To my knowledge, my heads haven't left for Mike Rich yet. It may be some time before all is back together again!

Besides... I've been kind of preoccupied with my latest aquisition:

mini1.jpg

Very nice :thumbsup:

Besides... I've been kind of preoccupied with my latest aquisition:

...well, I haven't heard back from Mike yet either, although I know he's had the heads for a couple weeks now. The last time we talked, he was about 6 weeks backlogged, so I probably still have 3 to 5 weeks at least left before I hear anything myself.

Well, have fun with the new scooter :P

Hopefully we'll have some more specific ideas on how to complete this dual-plug setup by then!

al

Oh djeeezz it's a BMW! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Love it... am I right is it the Cooper version in British racing green?

According to my window sticker - yes, it is "british racing green". However, it is a metallic paint, which "true" british racing green certainly is not. I've heard some refer to this MINI color as "bavarian racing green" instead. :grin:

And it isn't *quite* a BMW... no, the MINI is much more fun than a BMW! :lol:

I've driven a Z3 once (not owned...) and I must say I was impressed, they can sure build cars!

I've driven both the Z3 and Z4. I was actually shopping for a Z3 when I decided to get the MINI. I really liked the Z4, but it's too pricey for me. They are fun in a roadster sort of way, but the MINI will out-handle both of them on dry pavement, and on wet/snowy pavement - the FWD MINI will run circles around them! Plus, I have useful cargo space in the MINI! I'm very glad I chose the car that I did!

I guess we're getting a bit off-topic, though... sorry!

EDIT: one other thing... I wanted a car that was nearly as fun as a motorcycle, and the MINI Cooper certainly is! It's the kind of car that makes you want to seek out twisty roads, and go out driving simply for the fun of it! :thumbsup:

....just talked to Mike Rich, and my heads are *next* :thumbsup:

He seems to be right on schedule based on his estimate. He was shooting for 5-6 weeks, and he's had mine for about that time now.

I should hear something next week regarding any findings he has beyond the typical, and if all goes well should have the heads back at the shop in a couple or three. :)

...am pretty excited :grin:

Of course, then that kicks the "quest for coils" into high gear *sigh* :unsure:

al

That might also might result in a quest for ignition changes. I have the #3 Cliff Jeffries My16M ECU in my Sport 1100i right now. I have to admit that there are absolutely no stumbles or anything else evil. Should you decide to run that experiment as well, I'll be glad to help. Too bad my bike has something basically wrong and will not idle with either computer that I have for it. After replacing the clutch in my California,

clutch.jpg

it gets back into first place in the queue.