Synthetic oils again and again

Guest jerroldt

Guest jerroldt

I know that I should have my mouth filled with a bar of soap for simply mentioning that name but it does give some insight to using synthetics. I presently have to buy 3 types of oils for my Harley: primary oil, transmission oil and engine oil. The article on the posted link says that their new synthetic oil will do it all (probably at a premium price). If I go with a synthetic oil for my Le Mans it will probably be the Harley brand since they are just down the road, plus everyone will probably have all these questions about the Guzzi compared to a Buell and why do I have a backpack when I have a perfectly good Electraglide parked in the garage.

http://www.rmh-d.com/parts/syn3_faq.php

.  I presently have to buy 3 types of oils for my Harley: primary oil, transmission oil and engine oil.  The article on the posted link says that their new synthetic oil will do it all (probably at a premium price).  If I go with a synthetic oil for my Le Mans it will probably be the Harley brand

I dont know about H-D wonder oil :huh2: but I dont believe I'd use synthectic gear oil in my motor. You see thats why it's called gear oil & not motor oil :nerd:

I know you was thinking.... Guzzi is the Italian H-D :not:

Guest jerroldt

TX:

Thanks for your concern about me using synthetics in the Guzzi transmission etc. Actually, I won't even use it in my Harley since regular oils have sufficed for the last ten years. I may use their synthetic in the sump of the Guzzi but that is as far as it goes.

Guest rrbasso

O.K I know im one of the (bad guys) beckous i work at a HD shop, but put that aside, I do use the HD Synthetic oil in my Guzzi (for oil only) its a Syn made for air cooled v twins, and i have had no problem. :luigi:

B 4 I started hauling ordanance I spent 15 yrs hauling chemicals & oil out of just about every refinery & chemical plant in the U.S. & Canada. Ive been to umpteen repackagers, who put oil in anybodys jug :o I never have been to the H-D refinery :doh: Buy your oil at Wally World unless you just have to have that H-D label ;)

You're not one of the bad guys- you're workin' undercover for the GOOD GUYS! :mg:

I bought my first Eldorado from a Harley mechanic. That bike was kept in better shape mechanically than a lot of new bikes.

As far as oils- I use plain oil in the sump, and synth in the gears. Seems to work.

J

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jerroldt

Amsoil claims that the new HD Syn3 oil gets a worse score on the 4 ball test than HD's regular 20W-50. At almost $9 per quart I won't be using it. Amsoil 20W-50 full synthetic motorcyle oil meets all the API specs for a Guzzi and a dealer is nearby. It costs a lot less than HD/Bel Ray/Spectro equivalents. I have pasted in some info below from Agip web sites. Looks like the recommended gearbox/bevelbox oil is not synthetic. I am going with Pennzoil Gear Plus SAE 80W-90 GL5. The factory recommends AGIP Rotra MP SAE 80W-90.

Synthetic Transmission Oil:

AGIP ROTRA SX

AGIP ROTRA SX/S

AGIP HLX

AGIP HLZ

Mineral Transmission Oils

AGIP ROTRA

AGIP ROTRA HY

AGIP ROTRA HY DB

AGIP ROTRA MP

AGIP ROTRA MP DB

AGIP ROTRA MP is an EP (Extreme Pressure) gear oil recommended for hypoid gears operating under severe conditions and for very highly loaded gears in general, especially those subject to dynamic loads. It can also be used in conventional gear-boxes and steering-boxes on cars and trucks, and in gear-boxes, final drives and power take-offs on farm and earth-moving machinery. It can thus be used for lubricating all gears, whatever they are made of, for which the manufacturer recommend an EP lubricant.

Recommended Engine Oil

AGIP RACING 4T

AGIP RACING 4T is a fully synthetic motorcycle lubricant series of the latest generation, specifically formulated for race or severe engine operation. Its available in two viscosity SAE grades and is particularly recommended when maximum performance and protection is requested. The synthetic base stocks strengthen the oil film which adheres tenaciously to metal surfaces even when the engine has been standing for some time, thus ensuring easy starting and greatly reducing wear under high load conditions. In particular the grade 20W-50 is ester based. The outstanding "stay-in-grade" quality represents an important guarantee of viscosity stability, even after an extended period of extreme service. The thermally-stable synthetic base-stocks show extremely low volatility and minimise oil consumption. The special formulation ensures high performance in terms of detergent/dispersant, antirust, antifoam, anti-oxidation and anti-wear properties.

5W-40: API:SH/SJ 10W-60: API:SG 20W-50: API:SG

JASO:MA JASO:MA JASO:MA

ACEA A3 CCMC:G4 CCMC:G4

(MV approved) (DUCATI approved)

Guest Roadslayer

I too didn't know HD refined there own oil. If the API rating on the can is the same then it's the same oil as Safeway brand for a dollar and ten cents. And no I don't ran Safeway oil in my LeMans because it would be weird and knowbody would like me anymore. "Cheers" Roadslayer

I found the Slick50 ( yes, it's still available) to be a great product with how it binds PTFE to friction surfaces. I haven't used it on the Guzzi but have seen good results with it in autos since first using it 25 years ago.

The current thinking in lubricants, if I may summarize:

In the bevel box: gear oil and moly, ( Guzzi has a mixed product " final drive oil"), or gearoil with no moly or synthetic ( or no).

In the gearbox: Redline Shockproof heavyweight ( or lightweight), or synthetic ( or no). No moly.

In the motor: fermented rhinoscerus semen ( how you get the semen out of the rhino is your business). No, really, I know it's true. I read it on the internet.