FI improvements

Lex

Like a lot of you I am a fairly experienced rider/ amateur mechanic but I am new-ish to Guzzis. Also, I never used a Dynojet product before I bought the PC III for my 2001 V11 Sport. I've been messing with my injection based on things I've learned here, Guzziology, and a few other places. For those of you who are experts in these areas, please don't laugh too loud, you were ignorant at one time.

Here is What I've learned:

Set your TPS! You can find instructions in various places, I found the instructions in Guzziology the most useful. The TPS should read about 150 millivolts DC at closed ( zero) throttle and around 378 millivolts at the idle setting. See the instructions in the book for details. Anyway, mine was set at 80 millivolt at zero throttle, half of the correct setting! It only takes a few seconds to get it adjusted correctly.

Second, I found the instructions for setting the throttle position on the PC III. Look at the end of the PC III (serial port version) on-line training for the information. Again, what I found was way off. You see a number on the screen, this is, I assume, a digital representation of the number of millivolts coming from the TPS. At idle my "black box" was set at 25. After setting it correctly it was set at 17, almost a 33% change! Wide open throttle was nearly as dramatic, the PC III was showing 225. After resetting the position it showed 250. In other words, the PC III thought was at closed throttle when I had 25 to 33% throttle and never at more than 90% wide open throttle. The big question is how did the bike run so well up to now?

I made the above changes and took the bike for a ride. The improvement was stunning. It might not make any more power on top but it is really strong in the middle and it delivers the power much, much more smoothly and predictably. Also, in a way that is hard to define, it just ran better, especially at high RPM. Clearly, I am now getting the full benefit of the Stucchi X-pipe, Staintune mufflers and open air box. :thumbsup:

A little more diddling...

I liked the power improvement and intake roar of removing the air-box lid but not the mechanical noise that came with it. Since I knew I was going to keep the "relived" intake I did what I almost never do and modified a standard part, the air-box lid. I drilled three large (1 1/4" (31 MM), 1" (25 MM) and 3/4" (19 MM) on each side. I have to believe this provides more air than the motor can use (a total area about three times the stock inlets and no long tubes) but having the air-box lid between me and the air cleaner has knocked the noise down a bunch, just what I wanted. Score one for dumb luck.

At the same time a found a new map on the net, at the Guzzi Tech site. I down loaded it and took my Palm along for a ride today in case I needed to go back to an older map. End result, I took a 250 mile ride today (highway 58 to beautiful Buttonwillow raceway to see my ridding buddy's son run the 125 GP class at the AFM races) and my bike ran better than it has ever run AND I got more than 5 MPG (2.1 km/L) more than I have been getting. I did a little better than 37 MPG (15.7 km/ L) in some pretty high speed riding. Score two for dumb luck and persistence. I'm still looking forward to Todd Eagan opening a branch here in SLO town (happening soon) and having a custom map made but this seems to be as good as it will get until then. :bike:

Sorry this is so long but I urge anybody who hasn't either adjusted these settings or had someone adjust them to look into this.

Very happily, :D

Lex

Lex, thanks for your great post about setting TPS and the PCIII. Strong in the middle and much smoother.... I think I'll have me some of that too :bike:

I will be buying Guzziology but it seems to take several months to get to Europe. Could you perhaps post some of the links or references as to where/how to set the TPS on a V11 FI system? Perhaps a cutting from the Guzziology section would be good?

many thanks.

Jonathan

(1100km and riding!)

Guest vkerrigan

Nice Job Lex :bier: I've noticed many of the same characteristics w my bike since installation of the PC III w the accelerator pump feature...........vk

Perhaps a cutting from the Guzziology section would be good?

Having been a tech writer in another life I'm not real big on posting someone else's hard work on the web. :angry:

I still strongly recommend the book but if you can't get it maybe this will help:

Carl Alison covers the basics on this page:

Carl's TPS settings

I'll add the following:

Don't take the reading at the CPU, look on the "How to measure TPS voltage" thread on this forum. The zero throttle reading is 150 millivolt + or - 15 millivolt.

I didn't find the 20 millivolt drop Carl refers to so I did my setting as per Guzziology with the engine off.

Guzziology recommends taking of the fast idle mechanism under the right TB as well as removing the throttle linkage. I don't know if it matters but it couldn't hurt. Please note the little "C"-clip that holds the mechanism in place is apparently very hard to get, don't lose it! :homer:

After you set the zero position, reconnect the linkage and set the idle by adjusting the normal adjuster screw set the idle voltage to 378 millivolt (also + or - 15). After that you do a normal adjustment, set the bypass crews to 1 turn, sync with the plastic adjuster knob, etc. Unfortunately, you will need to go to a dealer for the final step, setting the CO2.

I hope this helps,

Lex

Lex et al

Many thanks for the links and excellent description of how to fiddle with the TPS. I agree its not fair to post pages from Guzziology and will buy the book when its available in Europe.

After alot of dodging storms and sneaking out of work early I have reached 1400km and will get the Ballabio first service this Friday, after which I will have a go at the TPS setting. Maybe the dealer will adjust it at the first service but I doubt it.

After a week of Aprilia Deutschland losing/finding the owners document for my bike I finally registered it this morning (in my name) - the nice lady gave me the plat DA (for Darmstadt) - MG 11 :bike:

Many thanks for all the friendly and hepful advice on the list which just confirms again that its great to finally own a Guzzi :mg:

Jonathan