Pipes

Guest Jim Hayes

Guest Jim Hayes

Does anybody have information about the exhaust that Gezzi &Brian use.I love the idea of eliminating the side pipes for a clean look.Future Guzzi's need to incorporate this in their design,Ducati, Aprilia ,and even BMW are routing their pipes to hide them and allow for hard bags.I e-mailed Gezzi&Brian,but no reply.Does anyone know where I can get this exhaust set-up?

J.R.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, a very attractive solution to be sure, but I believe that a significant amount of work/modification would have to be done to get the system that is on the G&B to fit our regular V11 Sport/Lemans/Scura bikes.

If you look at the photo:

Folgore3.jpg

... a much different tail-section would be required to accomodate the silencers, and the relocation of lighting, electronics, battery, etc... although it could certainly be done, a-la Wolf and other aftermarket manufacturers.

But in fact, it appears that on the other two newer models from G&B that they have a system more akin to Buell's under body exhaust, and are abandoning the undertail solution:

furiaf1.jpg

I can only assume this is for performance, but who knows. Perhaps there are issues with placement and heat for the underseat solution??

However, a suggestion: Instead of contacting G&B, since it is obviously a custom/specific system for their bikes... it might make more sense to inquire with a manufacturer such as Wolf, BOS, or the like and see if they are considering a system. If there were enough interest from owners, they may consider developing one. But their systems are pretty pricey, and it's debateable whether you get more "looks" than performance increase. And any low-volume bike like a V11 Guzzi would make the system even pricier. I guess it just depends on your priority.

But IMHO, I really like the styling/function of the side-by-side system that is current to the V11 Sport/LeMans/Scura. However, future models may be very interesting with underseat solutions. So keep pinging Guzzi, and you never know what may show up B)

Now if I can just get someone with some decent photos of the Staintunes, and some opinions on them versus the Leo Vince's... and I'll be set! :rolleyes:

al

I was told that the G&B exhaust system was custom made by the same people that build the exhaust systems for Ferrari's, i.e., they're made out of unobtainium.

Carl Allison

Modesto, California

01 V11 Sport TT

97 MG Sport 1100i "Bright Red Italian Bugswatter"

97 MG California 1100i

MGNOC 17546

http://home.pacbell.net/guzzi007/sportissimo.html

For me as far as the esthetics/looks go the stock set up is perfectly good enough. The only thing I am after is definitely more sound and some additional smoothing out and/or increase of the performance.

Therefore the idea of gutting out/drilling holes in stock cans complemented with PClll seems perfect. Somebody already posted some info about it before but then it got lost in space.

I am definitely planning to go this route but wouldn't like to be a guinee pig. Anybody having some thoughts, comments or info on it please post.

It was Jimjib who posted this in the old forum:

jimjib - May 15, 2002 12:17:03 am

I was looking for a shop to do the work also but had no luck.

If you pull off the end cap, it looks pretty ugly with all the holes..but...it sure got the results I wanted. The first time I drilled, it wasn't enough so the second time, I punch holes everywhere I could. I also cut off the inner tube about and inch, so that it doesn't stick out past the outer cap. I am really liking the sound now and don't think I am going to worry about another pipe. I will post a picture when I can.

I did order my power commander today and will get the bike on the dyno next week to build a custom map. My tuner is pretty good and I think that terrible dip in the mid range can be cured. I will post the results.

jimjib - May 15, 2002 12:32:32 am

can2.jpeg

can1.jpeg

Guest JohnInNH

Mistral silencers .... Oval vs Round... Is there a difference in SOUND? or FLOW? If not why 2 different ones.. Is it just LOOKS?

I'm looking for a replacement for my stock cans, but do not want them to be to loud.

Any of you have and experience with these or a different brand please share.

Guest jimjib

I know I did a sloppy job of drill the holes, I did it 1/2 hour before a ride...but you never see it anyway.

I think the sound of the drilled cans will appeal to both sides of the camp. Loud enough..to make people turn there heads but not so loud as to get you arrested.

Guest JohnInNH

Jim,

The problem with your method is it destroys the pipes, and can not be returned to "stock". Also it's easy to see the modification. If the motor gets damaged the dealer can easily say it's due to the "customized" exhaust.

I like to be able to put my bike back to stock for inspection, or trips to the dealer. Having to pay $$ for after market pipes is one thing, but having to buy STOCK pipes ... well ... OUCH

You could make an oval plate with the 3 hole mounting pattern, and a large hole in the center to go over the "perforations" with 2 screw holes to hold the plate in position as a "back to stock" option. Having looked at your hole "pattern" it would be difficult to do. But for others leaving some metal at strategic points to mount the "plate" to would be a good idea.

I wish there was a way to get a 1/2 " or 3/4" drill inside to relieve some of the back pressure internally.

There seems to be no real easy way to do this. Your way will work, and for lots probably the way to go.

Thanks for posting your pics and results.

Guest v11eric

It seems to be possible to replace the inside of our stock mufflers for a more open version, with the option to build it back. I supose if youre a bit handy you could do this youreself.

I don't see this work for myself because I need my stockmufflers for some trackdays where noise is an problem. Chancing the mufflers a few times is ok rebuilding the mufflers over and over is to much.

Original but not for long

Eric

01 V11lemans

• 8 months later...

All,

The CF Mistral muffler made my V11 Sport lighter and louder. It seems like it spins up a bit quicker now but I haven't had a chance to get a Dyno test yet.

Next step may be a Stucchi X-over and a PC III and get rid of the tail section before the next inspection is due.

Konrad

V11-oval-CF-Can.jpg

Guest mcloutier

I drilled my cans and have been very happy with the modification. Nice rumble now. You cannot tell they have been modified very easily with the covers back on.

• 4 months later...
Guest choldy

I have decided to drill the stack cans on my V11 Sport to get a little more sound, I have taken out the end cap fasteners but cannot seems to get the end cap off, is there a special 'knack' to this or is it jus brute force? :homer: