Pipes

Guest Jim Hayes

Guest golden goose

I bought my 02 LeMans in Jan 02. Ordered a crossover and the Ti Mistrals from Agostini's in February. The crossover I saw on one of the posts in this thread has Mistral stamped in to it. Mine did not, and I did not specify Mistral or Stucchi in my order with Ags. Is there any way to know for sure whether I ended up with a Stuchi or a Mistral x-over?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
Is there any way to know for sure whether I ended up with a Stuchi or a Mistral x-over?

GG, the Stucchi has a hanger welded in that uses the stock mount and comes with a replacement hanger bracket. The Mistral doesn't.

I don't think so....    :unsure:  I could be wrong, but I don't think the OEM crossover in Europe is any different than what we have here in the US, which is definitely not a catalytic converter.  Other than lighting, it seems that with MG's small volume, all their bikes are pretty much identically globally.

al

43008[/snapback]

Al,

Parts fiche(03-04 Lemans, RC, NC) shows different numbers for both

crossover and rear mufflers for USA from the rest of the world.

O2 sensor for "other than US" applications as well.

Seems the oxy sensor was added in 2003, outside the US.

Through 2002, exhaust seems to be the same worldwide.

Guest golden goose

Ratchet,

Thanks buddy! Looks like I may have the Stucchi. It has about a 1-inch flat hanger welded horizontally out the back end (on top of the x-over), with a mounting hole in it (probably for the carbon cannister?).

Is the Stucchi better then the Mistral, or the other way around?

GG

Guest ratchethack
Ratchet,

Thanks buddy!  Looks like I may have the Stucchi.  It has about a 1-inch flat hanger welded horizontally out the back end (on top of the x-over), with a mounting hole in it (probably for the carbon cannister?). 

Is the Stucchi better then the Mistral, or the other way around?

GG

88328[/snapback]

GG, the hanger is for use with the stock rubber X-over mounting pieces and the replacement "U-bracket" that comes with the Stucchi. I wouldn't put a X-over on my bike without provision for a very substantial hanger, because I've witnessed one of the results of not having a hanger on a Pal's LeMans - cracked headers -- that was all the convincing I needed.... :doh:

As far as which is "better" -- I reckon that's a mite subjective, but I chose the Stucchi on the credibility of the Manley/Lofgren dyno pulls they did on it many years back. It puts a nice couple of ft.-lbs. into the stock torque dip, and unless it's something drastically negative, I don't care what happens at the power peak - but that's just me.... -_-

It's a quality item, good grade stainless and top-notch welds, but there is a caveat. I did a write-up on it here a few years back. If the X-over won't sit flat on a bench, y'er gonna have significant alignment problems.....ask me how I know.... :blush: I had quite a time fitting mine and had to fab all-new muffler mounting plates, among other things. <_< Looks great and works perfectly, but the effort level was way too high. :bbblll:

In the case that you can measure more than about 10 mm under the free end of the X-over as it sits upside down on a bench, I'd send it back with instructions that you want a new one with closer to ~ 2-3 mm clearance.

Good Luck! ;)

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

puzzling, my crossover which proudly features the words Mistral all over it, has well finished brackets to use with stock rubber mounts n'all. it bolts right on. is this an aftermarket mod?

by the way; it will be mounted back again after a short stint with the stock box and MG Ti's. got dyno time next monday...

Guest ratchethack
puzzling, my crossover which proudly features the words Mistral all over it, has well finished brackets to use with stock rubber mounts n'all. it bolts right on. is this an aftermarket mod?

by the way; it will be mounted back again after a short stint with the stock box and MG Ti's. got dyno time next monday...

88481[/snapback]

Errrp......you're right, mdude. :o Sorry, my mistake. :doh: It's not the Mistral that's without a provision for a hanger, it's another crossover. The Mistral looks quite a bit different from the Stucchi, however. Where the Stucchi has a "siamesed" design, the Mistral has a curious series of connecting tubes, 2 of which are covered. Mogens (Rosso Mandello) cut-up and rebuilt a Mistral, and posted photos and a dyno chart not too far back...see thread here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...topic=7551&st=0

Errrp......you're right, mdude. :o  Sorry, my mistake. :doh:  It's not the Mistral that's without a provision for a hanger, it's another crossover.  The Mistral looks quite a bit different from the Stucchi, however.  Where the Stucchi has a "siamesed" design, the Mistral has a curious series of connecting tubes, 2 of which are covered.  Mogens (Rosso Mandello) cut-up and rebuilt a Mistral, and posted photos and a dyno chart not too far back...see thread here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...topic=7551&st=0

88506[/snapback]

It's the FBF that is without a hanger bracket. Adding one is easy though.