V11 Sport Body Panel Questions

joe camarda

Re 01 V11 Sport: In the process of removing the left silver body panel which covers the left airbox I've had to basically pry the body panel out after removing the three screws. In doing so I've cracked the panel. So I'm wondering:

1. Should the entire tailpiece be removed in order to remove the side

panel(s)?

2. Does the tailpiece simply lift off after removing the five attachment screws? Or is it more complicated than that? TIA for any information.

I was always able to take side panels easily (they are black by the way, not silver :lol: ) but come to think of it my tank was always off then.

My panels were stress cracked from day one right where the top fasteners are. I noticed later that on most of the other bikes, including new on the showroom floor, were the same cracks. Factory overtorques?

My dealer got me brand new panels under warranty, no questions asked.The factory warranty on body panels expires after 6 months, be careful then.

They require gentle coercing with minimal flex. I find that the holes don't line up perfectly so they under a little stress. I have an apparent stress crack on the left panel.

I have lost most of the original screws that hold the mounts on. These screws could use some light loctite.

Make sure the rubber grommets and metal spacers are in place also. They are there to "float" the panel stress free when installed. Problem is, they are fussy to put in and over torquing will still damage the panels. Loctite is needed but don't get it ON the plastic panels. It can make them brittle.