Black Soot In the Pipe

Janusz

The inside of my exhaust ends is covered with a black but dry soot. Whenever I touch it with my finger it's solidly covered with it. Is that normal? My gas mileage is not very good (30 mpg) and I am afraid I might run too rich. Please help.

Guest Squashed Nose

Mine's like that too. In fact, all my bikes have been like that, it's the nature of the beasts.

I get 45 mpg (UK gallons) so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Thanks.

Something is wrong then since my average mileage is 7.9 l/100 km or 29.8 m/US gal or 35.8 m/Imp.gal.

Stock pipe, Panel K&N in a stock airbox and Power Commander with stock map. Granted, I ride kind of hard comparing to some other people and live 1500 ft above town but the mileage is really bad.

The bike runs perfect otherwise though. But the gas bills are killing me,HELP! :huh:

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull
Thanks.

Something is wrong then since my average mileage is 7.9 l/100 km or 29.8 m/US gal or 35.8 m/Imp.gal.

Stock pipe, Panel K&N in a stock airbox and Power Commander with stock map. Granted, I ride kind of hard comparing to some other people and live 1500 ft above town but the mileage is really bad.

The bike runs perfect otherwise though. But the gas bills are killing me,HELP!  :huh:

Living at a high altitude and using a stock map, you're probably running a bit rich. The black soot is normal for pump gas. You get a nice white/grayish soot when you use race fuel.