Buell Firebolt Mirrors

edge

I purchased a pair of Buell Firebolt mirrors for my lemans. Again instead of the OEM replacement at $72.94 US for one mirror :vomit: . I noticed the Buell mirrors were wider by an inch or so, and would get my elbows out of the picture. I had to swap mounting plates due to bolt length (Buell too long), the swap was easy and the mirrors mount right up. Sorry no mounted pictures... my fairing is off. A side by side you can see they are a little longer. Not sure what will happen with vibrations since the mirrors are longer but we'll see when I get things running. I'm sure there will be more. These are made by the same company that makes the OEM lemans mirrors, they are sturdy, have a little curve to the stalk, and have the DOT warning on the mirror that things are way further away now :D

N0151.2A8 Mirror, Left $19.60 US

N0162.2A8 Mirror, Right $19.60 US

Guest vkerrigan

Edge..........Great Job :notworthy: I am one of those "larger" people that have had to get used to seeing elbows in the mirrors all the time. This looks like a really simple, clean, and relatively inexpensive solution to that problem. Thanks for the info!!.............................vk

vk,

Swing by your local HD/Buell dealler and check out the Firebolt mirrors.. You'll recognized them right off and see the curve stalks and increase length. They are mounted lower on the Buell but look fine on the lemans, remember swap mounting plates to keep the original nuts and mounting.

enjoy,

Yes, they come complete for mounting on a Buell. The "Mounting Plate" I referred to is the actual piece that bolts through the fairing (on both bikes). On the goose, the 2 studs are short and use 10mm acorn nuts. On the Buell, the 2 bolts are long and use 7/8 nuts (not supplied) and studs are too long anyway. What you do is, under the rubber boot, is a bolt that you undo so you can put your Guzzi plate on the Buell’s stalk. Easy swap, pay close attention to orientation when you remove the plate and install it on the new mirror the same way... The guzzi plate bolt is metric and Buell’s standard. 20 minute job from start to finish.. You have all you need and if you don't like you can return to original by swapping back, nothing gets broken or permanently modified. If you don't swap the plates and keep the orginal orientation they won't hang right. :rolleyes: I can put my fairing on tomorrow and take a couple pictures if needed. :pic:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the bike out today and am able to give feedback on the Buell Mirrors.. Good to go :thumbsup:

A little differnet profile then the OEMs but an 1"+ wider wich equals No Elbows in the picture. I was concerend the additioanl width would give additioanl vibration but the seem clearer than my originals.. Mayby because I can see more than my jacket :D

Anyway, a couple of pic's

Guest dkgross

heheh..kinda reminds me of a Futura now.

BUT..GREAT idea...Might do it myself. I don't like looking at my elbows all the time.

• 1 month later...
Guest vkerrigan

Edge.................Thanks again for the tip on the mirrors. I installed mine this evening in about 15 mins and, ouila!.......no elbows in the view :bier:... vk

Glad it worked out from you :bier:

I now have 1,000 miles on mine with no issues. It's nice being able to see w/o having to tuck an elbow or shift to see. The vibrations aren't bad and I don't think they hurt the looks of the lemans either :wub:

• 3 months later...

This is an older topic but I just made the change today to the Buell Firebolt mirrors. Thank you Edge for the original post. These things are great!!

If you ride a V11 Lemans and are tired of looking at your arms in the mirrors and would like to actually SEE WHAT IS BEHIND YOU then perform the Buell mirror swap. It is inexpensive ($40) and quick. Also, the new mirrors vibrate much less, though I have no explanation for why that is so. All in all it is total goodness with zero downside!

Caution: Check to mirrors before purchasing them from your Harley dealer. Make sure you have the right ones. They should look just like the Lemans mirrors, only with longer stalks.

Glad they worked out for you... I too am still very happy with the results :bier:

I did the original swap out of fundamental protest to MG with over priced parts :homer: It was shameful to have to go to a Harley stealer to buy replacements at 1/3 the MG cost that work better no less...

Are you listening MG?? :angry:

Guest Thundering Subash

I too put these on my bike shortly after your post Edge. Thanks for doing the hands on research and sharing the results.

In my experience, they offer a bit better field of view than the originals. And I think they look as well as the originals, albeit, different given the longer stalks with a pronounced bend. All in all, a worthwhile minor alteration.

I test rode a Victory Vegas around the same time I was making this mirror swap, and found the rear view mirrors on it to be excellent. In general, I think on a standard or cruiser you sit back further and have a better field of view with the mirrors. :blush:

-Chris

:mg:

Also, the new mirrors vibrate much less, though I have no explanation for why that is so. 

40783[/snapback]

Harmonics. The longer stalks don't resonate at the frequency that the 90deg v2 Guzzi engine does; they're designed to resonate at the frequeny of a H-D 45deg v-twin! :lol:

Ride on... :race: