How to replace a headlamp bulb on a Le Mans...

Guest PhilP

Guest PhilP

Hi.

Can anyone help with this - I've got a selection of headlmp bulbs that I want to try out to see which give best visibility for night time riding. I managed to replace the standard 60/55W H4 with a Philips VisionPlus but what should have been a simple replacement took about an hour and a half! If I get to try out the rest I'll let you know the outcome...

Removing the four bolts and lower fairing panel beneath the headlamp was the eay bit, as was removing the screw which holds the rim in place, but as for getting the thing out from behind the fairing, that was a different story! I ended up having to remove the top middle section of fairing as well so that I could slide the headlamp rim out on the skew without flexing the fairing too much. Surely there must be a simpler way! If anyone can poiint me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated... I'm touring through France/Spain in a couple of weeks and if I need to replace the bulb, I'll be at the side of the road with a torch, allen keys and spanners until dawn!

By the way, I've also got the Titanium exhausts on the bike. Has anyone magaed to fit panniers with these exhausts fitted. At the moment, it looks like I'm going to have to put the standard cans back on.

Thanks!

Phil

Naw, fuh-get-about-it :rolleyes:

..yeah, :P ....although I'm sure someone has come up with a method that works for them to change the light without removing the fairing, IMHO it's just easiest and in the end quickest to remove the 6 bolt locations on the fairing and lift it off :huh2:

After you do it once or twice, it takes all of 5 minutes, versus wrestling with all of those little fairing bolts.

BTW, don't overtighten those little guys, as there aren't any bushings in the fairing plastic, and you will cause stress cracks.

And WRT the Ti cans and bags, I don't think, other than some custom job, there is any way to fit bags with the upswept cans :unsure:

Maybe someone else has come up with a solution though :huh2:

Boy, I'm full of all sorts of "good news" on this thread eh? :P

Well, hope that helps anyway B)

al

Guest Brian Robson

Remove the mirrors, the 2 bolts in front of the winkers, 2 bolts at the back of the fairing and then the 2 lower bolts on the small panels and the fairing comes off in one piece.

As Al states, it is so much easier than taking the fairing apart piece by piece. :luigi:

Guest PhilP

Thanks gents! Fiddling about with the panels and tiny bolts etc did seem a very long winded way of doing things, and removing the whole fairing will be a lot easier. It didn't even cross my mind at the time to try something different, so wrapped up was I in getting the thing out!

Anyway, I'll give the Philips VisonPlus bulb a week then start trying the other bulbs. I'll put up another post and let anyone who may be interested know which one worked best.

...and it looks like the standard cans will be going back on for the French trip. Shame!

Phil :bier:

• 15 years later...
On 8/9/2004 at 12:46 AM, Guest Brian Robson said:

Remove the mirrors, the 2 bolts in front of the winkers, 2 bolts at the back of the fairing and then the 2 lower bolts on the small panels and the fairing comes off in one piece.

As Al states, it is so much easier than taking the fairing apart piece by piece. :luigi:

👍👍

• Like 1