Taming the V11 bar Vibrations

jrt

• 1 month later...
hi,

i totally agree with ratchethack, on my scura i find the bars perfects to drive 500 km a day an d if i had to modify it, i think i'd change it to a lower model. i don't really suffer from vibrations but i planned to put foam handles (good translation??).

I'm quite suprise when i read all your topics, because when i try to ride at high speed  :rolleyes: i have to adopt a low position on the position on the bike to have good feeling on the fork, and it's a bit far from your high handle bars.

I'd like to add that the low position handle bar looks more race bike and i like it :sun:

33315[/snapback]

I have to agree with u on this Freddy. My scura is comfortable as.1500kms in one weekend and i am ready to go again.Little vibe in right mirror, and thats about it.

Guest ratchethack
I have to agree with u on this Freddy. My scura is comfortable as.1500kms in one weekend and i am ready to go again.Little vibe in right mirror, and thats about it.

Hullo there Mark! Your post threw me for a minute. I was drawing a blank on your agreement with Freddy's post, which was an agreement with me. Then I realized Freddy's post was a year ago and so was mine! Don't know if you realized this yourself, but it's always good to know when you're still in agreement with SOMEBODY today, even if it's from a year ago! -_- BTW - I ain't changed my tune since then either. :P

Hullo there Mark!  Your post threw me for a minute.  I was drawing a blank on your agreement with Freddy's post, which was an agreement with me.  Then I realized Freddy's post was a year ago and so was mine!  Don't know if you realized this yourself, but it's always good to know when you're still in agreement with SOMEBODY today, even if it's from a year ago! -_-  BTW - I ain't changed my tune since then either. :P

59296[/snapback]

Ha Ratchethack.Sorry new at all this stuff. and porkchop? fill me in. :homer:

• 6 months later...
Guest trispeed

the convertibars work brilliantly; one of the best mods I've made to any bike! you'll need the longer hydraulic lines if you want to take advantage of the full range of adjustment, though the le Mans fairing may preclude using all of that, as well.

• 11 months later...

Edge.Never looked at it like that before but I see what you mean. :grin:

Yeah but Gilmore is so busy tearing up the road and scarying the pants off little old ladies in Barinas he wouldn't notice any vibrations from his bars.

I must say I too love the riding position on the Mandello Rosso just as it is, comfortable for most fast twisty work but does start to get me in the knees when in city traffic and long highway hauls. Handle bars used to make right hand a bit numb until I replaced the grips with thicker foam rubber ones, don't look as pretty but seem to help.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The PO of my 2000 Sport fitted 'lower than stock' clip-ons so I have NO shortage of a lower, more forward sport tuck. I prefer this riding position. It's less punishing on my lower back. I suffer from intermittent sciatic pains due to degenerative disks between L3/4 and L4/5 and a position that allows me to arch my back inwards, balancing my weight between my arms and legs, actually feels better to me. Most of my weight is unfortunately on my arms and butt on long highway trips (we all have to go visit mom some days) but I prefer it. My mirrors dont skake too much but I'll attest to numb throttle fingertips after 30 minutes of highway/same speed/same rpm riding. I really would like to reduce the numbing haha. My buddies ProGrip grips are great. Grippy and SOFT. He has the SuperBK Simple 699 or 713's. I think I'll get some ASAP.

GuzziWeb_02.jpg

GuzziWeb_03.jpg

The PO of my 2000 Sport fitted 'lower than stock' clip-ons so I have NO shortage of a lower, more forward sport tuck. I prefer this riding position. It's less punishing on my lower back. I suffer from intermittent sciatic pains due to degenerative disks between L3/4 and L4/5 and a position that allows me to arch my back inwards, balancing my weight between my arms and legs, actually feels better to me. Most of my weight is unfortunately on my arms and butt on long highway trips (we all have to go visit mom some days) but I prefer it. My mirrors dont skake too much but I'll attest to numb throttle fingertips after 30 minutes of highway/same speed/same rpm riding. I really would like to reduce the numbing haha. My buddies ProGrip grips are great. Grippy and SOFT. He has the SuperBK Simple 699 or 713's. I think I'll get some ASAP.

GuzziWeb_02.jpg

GuzziWeb_03.jpg

Rich-

You just bought this V11, right?

You can go ahead and try the new grips as that may help. But I found after riding the V11 for a few months, I had a more relaxed grip on the bike and the numbness in the throttle hand (for me it was the fingertips) just went away.

:mg:

Rich-

You just bought this V11, right?

You can go ahead and try the new grips as that may help. But I found after riding the V11 for a few months, I had a more relaxed grip on the bike and the numbness in the throttle hand (for me it was the fingertips) just went away.

:mg:

Yep, just got it last week. the grips on it are very greasy feeling (even after trying to clean with glass cleaner) and while I should start wearing riding gloves, I want to feel the bike with my skin for a while first :) I tend to rest the heel of my palm under my pinky on the grips so my fingers are usually loose riding. We'll see what I get used to in the future.

Over the weekend I removed the (much lower than stock) Magni clip ons from my Cafe Sport and replaced them with (lower still) woodcraft units. Personally I think the change is for the better, geometry wise, but I do now notice more vibration than I did before.

I had done a pretty good job of dampening the vibrations with the Magni clip ons by purchasing a piece of fuel line that was roughly the same OD as the ID of my handlebar tubes, and inserting a tight fitting bolt inside said fuel line. This added a significant amount of mass to what otherwise was a rather flimsy (IMHO) setup from Magni. I also have heavy bar ends with replaceable sliders installed.

Having just switched to the Woodcraft units, I noticed that the bar itself is lighter (aluminum vs. steel) and has a significantly thicker wall. I suppose it's back to the hardware store for more hoses and bolts for me...

I also have 2 pairs of riding gloves, one of the leather and mesh type, the other of the full-gauntlet style that I used during Chicago winters. Wearing the winter gloves also was easier on the hands, but the mesh gloves admittedly are more comfortable in the heat here in HI.

:2c:

Please wear gloves. Your palms are the first thing to hit the ground if you crash (hope you don't). Hands are cool. I love mine. Both of 'em.

I was taught not to stick your palm out when falling, but to put your palms toward your chest. Which is one of the reasons to get good knuckle protection with the gloves.

I am curious to hear thoughts on how to fall properly.

Maybe it is worth a thread :huh2: