Taming the V11 bar Vibrations

jrt

Graham in NZ has written up a very nice illustrated description of the iterations he went through to reduce bar vibrations on the V11. Included are changes in the brake lines, handlebars, mirrors (Italian, of course :helmet:) and bar ends. The text is here.

cheers,

Jason

Guest ratchethack

Superb write up. Kudos to Graham in NZ, and thanks for posting the link, Jason.

With all the hundreds of posts on bar changes, I wonder if anyone else out there actually LIKES the stock clip-on bars on the Sports? :wub: I have to say that I just don't get it. :huh2: One of the reasons I bought my Sport was that I liked the riding position so well, including what I consider a near-ideal bar position (adjusted to full "inside" angle). There are times when I actually think I might want them lower, though for me, the stock height and angle seem to be a near-perfect compromise for all-around riding.

Having suffered very serious back problems many years ago, I find that the "Sport tuck" provides a naturally comfortable curve to the spine with a nice balance between seat, bars, and pegs that's easy to "set" against the smoothed-out slipstream/bubble boundary created by my Stucci quarter-fairing at speed. I've been (mostly) symptom-free from back trouble for about 12 yrs and I get far more back irritation from driving a car than from hundreds of miles at a time on the Guz! :bike:

Now on to bar vibration. The PO of my bike had installed Throttlemeister Heavy bar end weights (the 14 oz-ers). With these, bar vibration has simply been so minor that I never perceive it as an irritation of any kind. As a guage of how sensitive to vibration I might be, I only occasionally notice vibration thru the right-hand peg. It only very occasionally registers as a slight irritation, and if I move my foot around a bit I can just forget about it.

As far as the mirrors go, yeah, they're a little fuzzier than I'd like, but they're effective enough that I have no desire to consider an alternative. I find that if I'm not currently in a riding situation that requires an instant response or reaction, I can steady the left-hand mirror with my hand long enough to get that sharper peek I'm after. :thumbsup:

Just blessed with liking it stock, I guess! As far as I'm concerned, they got it absolutely spot-on in Mandello del Lario. :notworthy::mg: Anyone else have the same take, or am I the Lone Ranger on this one? Maybe I'm just old enough and worn-out enough to realize that the only "perfection" that exists is perfect acceptance of "pretty damned good"??

Guest erikhorton

I've got a Ballabio with the bar on the risers. I've added CRG bar-end mirrors to the bike, this I really couldn't tell any improvement in the vibes, contrary to some threads I've read. BUT, I filled the bar with #4 lead shot, and it's about as smooth as it's gonna get. I've got a really bad case of carpal tunnel, and I went numb in about 8 min. before the lead addition, I'm up to around 30-40 minutes now before I feel the tingle. :D

Guest freddy

hi,

i totally agree with ratchethack, on my scura i find the bars perfects to drive 500 km a day an d if i had to modify it, i think i'd change it to a lower model. i don't really suffer from vibrations but i planned to put foam handles (good translation??).

I'm quite suprise when i read all your topics, because when i try to ride at high speed :rolleyes: i have to adopt a low position on the position on the bike to have good feeling on the fork, and it's a bit far from your high handle bars.

I'd like to add that the low position handle bar looks more race bike and i like it :sun:

Guest ratchethack
on my scura i find the bars perfects to drive 500 km a day an d if i had to modify it, i think i'd change it to a lower model.

Ah, someone who agrees with the superior comfort and balance of a "sport tuck" riding position! Thanks, Freddy. Your reply tends to confirm what I've long suspected. Could it be that the "sport tuck" of Guzzi sport bikes with stock low bars intact actually isn't just a "road racer wanna-be" poser thing after all?? Though we're evidently few and far between (?), some of us here in the US agree with what Euro motorcyclists have seemingly always understood: A forward-leaning riding position that distributes weight properly between hands, feet, and seat - and naturally balances the body against the wind blast over a small fairing at speed is the most comfortable position, not only for sport riding, but for longer trips as well. This runs counter to what seems to be more of an accepted "norm" here in the US - variations on the "American Cruiser" posture so much in evidence with the HD crowd: laid-back, feet forward, hands high, and all the weight on the tailbone. To me, this has always been just "wrong". :vomit: Ah, but to each his own... And as you've also importantly pointed out, the "sport tuck" puts the proper proportion of rider weight forward on the forks and front wheel, providing superior fore-aft balance for optimun handling that Guzzi obviously intended with the original (and still maintained), more aft placement of the seat that gives the rider that "forward stretch" on all Guzzis in the first place! :thumbsup:

Now I'll assume the "sport tuck" position at my keyboard in anticipation of dodging "incoming" from all the cruiser-oriented Guys who bought sport models... :lol:

Guest Graham in NZ

Jason

Thanks for posting the writeup.

I tend to agree with those of you who like the look of the original clipons, but although I persevered with them for a while, they got me in the upper spine area on longer rides.

Apparently Guzzi agree that higher and more setback bars are preferable too, hence the positioning on the Ballabio, Cafe Sport and Coppa Italia, which friend Peter, mentioned in my article, has just bought yesterday. Personally I'm not keen on the colour scheme of the Coppa, but technically it looks the goods and Peter rates the bars and mirrors on a par with my modified ones.

My favourite V11 is the Le Mans Nero Corsa. I wonder how it would go with higher bars and if Guzzi will fit them to the Le Mans series too?

Jason, you noted below the brake hose photo that the horns look weak. I presume you mean physically, which I guess they are if you bump them, but vibration and exhaust heat have not been a problem in over 10,000km. Audibly weak they are not!

Graham

• 2 months later...

ratchethack;

You are not weird, strange or unique and for sure not alone in your opinion. I would NEVER accept any other bars then stock '99 - '01 also.

These put my body in a most comfortable position. I've been riding for 10+ hours a day for more then a week several times and never suffered any discomfort. I totally agree with all your statements posted above.

Now vibration.

Yes, there was too much vibration when new and with stock weights and mirrors. But Napoleon bar end mirrors totally cured any problems. Please everybody note that their weight is positioned on a long stalks quite far from the bar ends and to match their effect you would probably have to weight bar ends themselves with two pounds each or more.

They also look 100% right on a naked V11S.

After 20,000 km (now I have almost 40,000) the engined seemed to be finally broken-in and all the residual vibration is really needed; otherwise I would think I am riding an electric appliance.

Jason, you noted below the brake hose photo that the horns look weak.  I presume you mean physically, which I guess they are if you bump them, but vibration and exhaust heat have not been a problem in over 10,000km.  Audibly weak they are not!

Graham

33371[/snapback]

Just being facetious. :cheese:

J

I've got a Ballabio with the bar on the risers.  I've added CRG bar-end mirrors to the bike, this I really couldn't tell any improvement in the vibes, contrary to some threads I've read.  BUT, I filled the bar with #4 lead shot, and it's about as smooth as it's gonna get.  I've got a really bad case of carpal tunnel, and I went numb in about 8 min. before the lead addition, I'm up to around 30-40 minutes now before I feel the tingle.  :D

33274[/snapback]

Not sure if this is for you, but I also had terrible trouble with the vibes. I tried heavy (custom machined from 35mm diameter x 65mm long steel bar stock) first and still wasn't happy. I then went the full monty and used some 4130 cro-moly tube, welded a threaded plug in the end to take my big end weights and then filled the whole tube with molten lead, finsihing the inside end with a plastic plug. Painted them black. I haven't weighed the finished product but, yes, it's very heavy. Works a treat and completely eliminates the tingles. I was ready to sell the bike before the conversion and, now, will still have it when they bury me.

• 3 months later...

Anyone else have the same take, or am I the Lone Ranger on this one?  Maybe I'm just old enough and worn-out enough to realize that the only "perfection" that exists is perfect acceptance of "pretty damned good"??

33272[/snapback]

I agree with you. I love the look of my V11 with the clip ons, and find the riding position is a good compromise between a full on sports tuck and something ok around town.

I have wanted a sports Guzzi for years, and only managed to afford one 6 months ago.

When I first had it the right bar vibrated more than the left and rather harshly, but after I had the injection tuned by experts the vibration became "softer" and evenly spread between the bars. I would like to fit heavier bar ends though so where do you get them?

I can't see me replacing my V11 anytime unless it's with another one! Perfect. :mg:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Barnapkin

Has anyone thought of using the throttle meister?? I added one to my Lemans. They come in two weights 12oz or 14oz. My only gripe is that they don't come in black, yet the brushed stainless quality is good. I added the 14oz, and it really made a difference PLUS the bike now has a really good throttle control. I just returned from a 1900mi (round trip) ride, and I cannot recommend the product enough. The instructions worked well. :grin:

I've had the TM "heavy" models since I bought the bike... in fact.... TM didn't even make a Guzzi V11 specific model when I bought mine, so it was something of an experiment.

Several others on the board have bought them hence, and like them quite a bit.

You can even buy the plain bar ends(without throttle lock) if you want, just for the weight.

I can't say if they really helped with the vibes much, as it was so long ago, but they surely must have. I also filled my bars with lead shot and silicone.

al

• 1 month later...
Guest V-Twin-Monster

for my :2c: : If you don't want to do all the work I find that you can keep the bikes RPMs just 5k and the vibration will go away. This will help save your hands on the long rides.