Tyre wear rates

Guest Squashed Nose

Guest Squashed Nose

I've got 12000+ miles on my Le Mans now and those miles have not been run at particularly low speed. My original BT020 on the rear still has about 2-2.5mm of tread left and the front has loads. I'm amazed. My previous bike, a Kawasaki ZX9R was getting through a front tyre every 3500 miles and a rear every 5000.

How does this wear compare with you geezers?

at 11,000 KM or +/- 7000 miles, my OEM BT020s are ready to be replaced as, I had a few "moments" in tree shrouded, damp corners. Then there was that decreasing radius, inside a blackened tunnel, hairpin turn somewhere in northern Italy. Whew!

No complaints though, as virtually all 11,000 KM were touring miles and up until the last bit, I never experienced any loosness or vagueness.

BTW...I've been running 32 PSI front and rear.

I am only getting about five or six thousand miles per tire...

It shipped with Bridgestones, I tried Avons and Pirelli sport touring radials. All got about the same mileage. I liked the Bridgestone rear and the Pirelli front the most. Not sure how they would work as a combo. I am on a Conti rear and Pirelli front now. As a combo, it feels natural the grip is suprisingly good on the Conti but the bike felt unstable until I firmed up the rear preload and dropped the front end a little. Now it handles great. The Pirelli probably turns a little too quickly. Thinking of a Michelin Macadam for the next front...

Pushing 10k on the oem Bridgstone BattleAx 56/57 tires. But I have done too much stright hi speed freeway riding and not enough curves. (There are none around here except for exit/entrance ramps!) They are worn out in the middle and look great on the sides.

Great tires, but have been replaced with new models. I'll probably get the Pilot 02 model tires next time and go one size narrower on the rear.

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull

I'm at 8,500 miles with the stock Bridgestone BT020's. The front is starting to show signs of cupping. Will be going with Dunlop D208ZR's when the Bridgestones give up the ghost.

Guest Squashed Nose

I'll act as interpreter:

Freeway: Motorway

Exit/entrance ramps: Slip roads

Tires: Tyres

Oh my, how our quaint language has been violated.

Squashie,

I'm amazed that you wear out your front tire (tyre) before the rear. In all my years of riding, I've usually averaged about 2 rear tires for every front tire. You must be a demon late braker :o

As for the difference in your wear rates than everyone elses...maybe the Labor (Labour) government inflates the mileage rates so that they can collect more road taxes :lol:

Speaking of tire brands...I tried lots of different brands on my old FJ and I seem to remember Metzler ME-33s felt very planted and confidence inspiring. Of course that was many years ago and tire technology has evolved a lot since then...

Guest Squashed Nose

I wore the front tyre on my Ninja on the shoulders and not the centreline. This was due entirely to the nature of the beast and my route to work having many bends. I loved to get my weight over the front end and lean until something scraped.

You're right about the Metzelers, I ran a few bikes in the past with the ME33 front and ME99 rear combination. They're not available in a Z rate but there are other Metzelers which are. However, I'm so pleased with the longevity of the BT020s, I think I'll stick with them for now.

And you're right about the Labour administration. They are a bunch of lying, cheating, money grabbing scumbags. No different from any other political organisation, then.

Hi,

A good alternative for the Bridgestones is the brand new Michelin Pilot Road. High mileage (+ 13.000kms) and a pretty neutral balance.

Best regards,

Ivan Priem

V11S (2000)

Just turned 5,000 miles on the original Battalax tires.The front is almost to thread, but the back I would still ride for another 200 miles or so.